CMU second baseman Mario Camilletti selected by Chicago White Sox in eighth round of MLB Draft

20220423-img-8707

General caption: CMU Baseball has a clean sweep today, Saturday, April 23, at Theunissen Stadium against Akron. With winning today's double header, our Chippewas have 17 straight wins and an overall team record of 27-10.

Senior infielder, Mario Camilletti, walking on before the start of the first inning against Akron, Saturday, April 23.

Central Michigan's leadoff hitter has found a new home at the next level. 

Second baseman Mario Camilletti became the third CMU Chippewa selected in the 2022 MLB Draft when the Chicago White Sox drafted him in the eighth round, No. 251 overall. He joins right-handed pitcher Andrew Taylor, a second round choice of the Houston Astros, and outfielder Jakob Marsee, a sixth round selection of the San Diego Padres, as players chosen from the program. 

According to MLB's Draft Tracker, the pick comes with an approximate slot value of $171,000. 

Camilletti made a profound impact in two seasons with the Chippewas. After transferring to Mount Pleasant from Oakland University, he quickly claimed the leadoff spot in the batting order. This was never relinquished, as he quickly put together a career that ranks among the best in program history. 

Twice a First Team All-Mid-American Conference selection, Camilletti was an on-base machine hitting on the left side of the plate. He assembled a career on-base percentage of exactly .500 while maintaining a .355 batting average in two seasons. 

In his first season with the program, Camilletti set the single-season record for walks with 61. He nearly matched this total in 2022, drawing 54 base on balls in 62 games. He also saw his power numbers improve in his final season, as he hit seven home runs in 2022 to go along with 51 RBI's. 

He was just as good with his glove, as he finished his 2022 campaign with a .991 fielding percentage at second base. For his efforts, Camilletti was named a finalist for the Rawlings Gold Glove Award at his position.