CMU field hockey drops MAC opener

fhockey-9-16-2
Bloomfield Hills junior Kate Biglin dribbles the ball during the game against Bellarmine on Friday, Sept. 16 at Cristy Freese Field.

In its first home game of the year, Central Michigan field hockey (1-6, 0-1) opened its Mid-American Conference schedule against Bellarmine (1-6, 1-0) on Friday. 

Looking to snap their losing streak, the Chippewas came to play. However, the Knights ended up securing a 3-2 victory. CMU's losing streak is now six games.

“We had some great moments for sure," said head coach Jennifer Johnstone. "We had some players that played outstanding today. Kate Biglin was a lead-by-example type of player today, she would have done anything she could to help us generate some offense. Amelia Lane, scoring her second goal as a freshman, playing with lots of confidence. So, I mean, I think those kids tried to bring some energy for us today, but unfortunately, we just fell short due to some of our mistakes."

The Chippewas started slowly as Bellarmine piled on the shots. But CMU freshman goalkeeper Maja Halasz kept the Knights off the board through the opening minutes of the first period. 

But, after struggling to figure Halasz out, Bellarmine managed to slip one past her to take a 1-0 lead. CMU did not record a shot during the period. 

Junior midfielder Kate Biglin turned the momentum in the Chippewas favor during the second period as she tied the game at one. She recorded four shots in the period.

“I think Biglin is always going to bring an attacking energy with her play," Johnstone said. "She can play now in the midfield or on the forward line. So, the good thing is that she’s reliable. We know what we’re going to get from her. She’s consistent."

With two seconds remaining in the second, Bellarmine recaptured the advantage as it snuck a goal in to take a 2-1 lead. 

The Chippewas were not going down without a fight at home, as Amelia Lane immediately knotted the score at two in the opening minutes of the third period.

CMU was not able to keep Bellarmine off the scoreboard, as the Knights answered back and took a 3-2 lead. Down one, Johnstone decided to bring in junior goalkeeper Katie Maxim for Halasz. 

Both teams had opportunities to score throughout the rest of the game. But no one found the back of the net as Bellarmine secured a 3-2 victory. 

Bellarmine recorded 10 shots on goal compared to five for the Chippewas. 

Halasz finished the day with three saves. Maxim recorded four saves.

CMU continues its MAC slate on Friday, as it travels to Boone, North Carolina to face Appalachian State.