CMU field hockey loses second consecutive game

field-hockey-10-15-1
Sophomore midfielder Hannah Havarilla battles with an Ohio player, Friday, Oct. 15, 2021, Cristy Freese Field. The Chippewas would go on to lose the game in double overtime with a final score of 2-1.

Central Michigan University field hockey team traveled to the University of Michigan’s Phyllis Ocker Field to take on undefeated Ohio on Friday. Although they rallied late, the Chippewas ran out of time as the Bobcats won 5-2. 

CMU falls to 1-2 on the season, while Ohio retains improves to 2-0. 

The Chippewas started red-hot, scoring within the first three minutes, as Alice O’Hagan recorded her first goal of the game. 

However, the Bobcats answered back scoring three straight to take a 3-1 lead into the start of the second quarter. Ohio out-shot CMU in the first period 12-1. 

The Bobcats found the back of the net again partway through the second quarter to push the lead to three. 

Ohio kept the pressure on following halftime, as it recorded a handful of shots. But CMU freshman goalie Maja Halasz came up big to keep the Bobcats off the board. 

With Halasz frustrating Ohio's attack, in her first college game, the Chippewas couldn't take advantage, ending the third quarter without recording a shot. As time ran out on the third, Ohio added their fifth goal of the game to make the score 5-1 Bobcats. 

At the beginning of the final quarter, CMU tried to mount a comeback, as Kate Biglin fired shots at the Bobcats' net. Although her first attempt was blocked, a couple of minutes later Biglin found the back of the net, moving the score to 5-2. 

Ohio outshot CMU 22-to-6 in the game, recording nine shots on goal. All six of the Chippewas' shots were on goal. 

The Chippewas return to play against Michigan on Sunday at 3 p.m. in Ann Arbor. The Wolverines are ranked third in the country.