New exhibit opens at the Museum of Natural and Cultural History

President of American Chemical Society speaks at exhibit opening

potd_3_23-4
General: CMU students work together to install The Midland ACS Centennial Exhibit on Wednesday, March 23 in Rowe Hall. Plans are in place to open the installation in Rowe Hall by the end of the semester. Photo: CMU students work together to install The Midland ACS Centennial Exhibit on Wednesday, March 23 in Rowe Hall.

Central Michigan University's Museum of Cultural and Natural history hosted the opening of its exhibit, “A Century of Science and Service” on Sept. 22 in Rowe Hall 124. 

The event was coordinated in honor of the 100-year anniversary of the Midland American Chemical Society chapter. 

This exhibit was a collaborative effort, with Central Michigan University Museum Studies, Public History, Cultural Resource Management Programs, the Midland Section of the American Chemical Society and the Midland Museum. 

Jay Martin, Director of the Museum Studies Program at CMU said Regina Malczewski, a member of the Midland Section of the American Chemical Society, is the motive force behind this exhibit.

Regina was named the first “Honorary Museum Professional” due to her work and contributions to the Central Michigan University Museum of Cultural and Natural History.

The President of the American Chemical Society, Dr. Angela K. Wilson spoke at the opening of the exhibit explaining the intent of the event was to highlight the accomplishment of making the exhibit and recognizing the work of museum employees and scientists coming together. 

“We need more people in STEM to produce cleaner energy, grow food, and more,” Wilson said. “It is so important to have museums like this to introduce the public to chemistry. While we need more chemists, we also need more people in the community to appreciate chemistry.

“It's a great profession. It's fun and rewarding, and there are so many career paths available. You have the opportunity to help others, and it leads to a good job.” 

The exhibit displays different topics such as networking, research, internships, learning, growing strengths and gaining experience. 

In her speech, Dr. Wilson mentioned that the criteria for joining the American Chemical Society had changed. Now, all people regardless of education or career in chemistry can apply for membership to join the 161,000 members currently in the ACS. 

This exhibit first opened in Midland in 2019. There had been plans put in place to move the exhibit to CMU for the Mount Pleasant community, however, these plans had to be put on hold due to COVID-19. 

This exhibit is free and open to the public. It is open Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in Rowe Hall 124. 

For any questions about the exhibit, contact Executive Secretary of Museum Studies, Kristi Richards at crans1kr@cmich.edu.