CMU DII women's hockey stays perfect against Bowling Green State

b2e59594-a9a3-414b-9b23-fb820687de25
Freshman forward Deklynn Woitas wearing the hard hat awarded to Central's Player of the game along with her first goal puck.

After sixty minutes of hockey ended in a tie, the Central Michigan Division II women's hockey team looked to find that overtime spark on Saturday to keep their perfect record intact. 

That spark came from freshman forward Deklynn Woitas, scoring her first collegiate goal to give the Chippewas the 2-1 victory and improve to 4-0 on the season. 

“For her (Woitas) it was big, especially after taking a few penalties,” said head coach Chris Haney. “Coming from Canada those types of hits are allowed, so she was frustrated and feeling a little bit down so for her to come back and get the game-winner is huge” 

For Woitas, all the bad made the game-winner even more special. 

“It feels amazing,” Woitas said. “I really wanted to have a slapshot goal, so I’m glad that my first goal was a slapshot. It feels good winning for the team because I really wanted it for us.”

Bowling Green opened the scoring with under a minute left in the first period putting the Chippewas down by one going into the locker room. Despite going on the penalty kill three times, the Chippewas managed to keep the Falcons off the board. 

With time winding down in the third period, the Chippewas found themselves with nothing to show for it though. However, a hooking penalty gave CMU the one-man advantage. 

Sophomore Brooke Hubert went down on the play but passed the puck to the middle. Freshman forward Kaitlyn Willams corraled the puck on her stick and fired it past the Falcon’s netminder, tying the game at one with five minutes left. 

“It looked like the goalie might steal one for them,” Haney said. “Kaitlyn has been an absolute stud for us, and we needed her to step up in that moment. It was a relief that she scored.”

The Chippewas have a week off before they head up north to Marquette for a two-game away series on Saturday, Oct. 29, and Sunday, Oct. 30. Saturday’s puck drop is set for 6 p.m.