CMU DII women’s hockey sweeps MSU

0f4a7338
Sophomore defender Macey Barnett waits for play to start during her practice on Oct. 26 at The Isabella Ice Rink.

After failing to pick up a win in four attempts against Michigan State (0-2) last season, Central Michigan Division II women’s club hockey turned the tables on the Spartans over the weekend. 

With their first win in hand, the Chippewas secured a sweep of MSU with a 4-1 win in East Lansing on Sunday.

" It was kind of close for a little bit," said head coach Chris Haney. "But it just felt like we had control of that game the entire game. And that just speaks I think, to their confidence that like okay, we belong here. We were going to be fine. So it was good to see.”

Having shocked the Spartans in Martin Ice Arena on Saturday, Haney prepared his squad to face MSU’s best shot in game two.

"The message in the locker room before the game was we're gonna get their best shot today, especially at home," Haney said. "So expect a storm initially, they're going to take it to us and try to get a goal to assert dominance.

“And not only did we withstand that, but we actually took it to them right away. And we told them in the locker, 'hey, after beating them the night before, if you guys score a quick goal on them here, I could see it snowballing.'"

Motivated by Haney’s message, CMU attacked the Spartans from the opening face-off. 

Midway through the first period, freshman forward Zoie Sawdy drilled a shot past MSU’s goalie and into the back of the net to put the Chippewas ahead 1-0. It was her second goal of the weekend.

"Just another pleasant surprise," Haney said. "She played for HoneyBaked down in Detroit and I knew she was a good player and just a spark plug. She's got a never-ending motor. She works hard and she's going to get after it. 

“We award a hard hat for player of the game. So (Sunday) we awarded that to her just based on getting our scoring going and scoring the first goal both games."

A few minutes later, freshman forward Kylie Del Re found herself in open ice with only the keeper to beat. Del Re deked left, sending the goalie to her back, and dumped the puck into the net to push the lead to two. 

In the second period, freshman forward Brooke Hubert got in on the scoring when she corralled a loose puck in the crease and pushed the score to 3-0. 

MSU added a goal in the waning moments of the second.  

But, Captain Mac Barnett sealed the deal for the Chippewas with a goal from the point, locking up the 4-1 win. 

After sitting out Saturday due to an illness, sophomore goalie Lauren Abraham got the start for CMU. 

"I don't think she was still 100% but just came out and was rock solid right off the bat," Haney said. "And even in some scary scenarios, where it's a breakaway, or partial breakaway, or a high percentage shot. You just feel she's going to make the stop, and she does.”

The Chippewas welcome Bowling Green State to Martin Ice Arena on Friday, Oct. 14 at 6:30 p.m.

With 12 days between contests, CMU will have practice four times during that stretch. However, Haney said that won’t stop his team from working to improve.

"We recognize a few things that need to be cleaned up," Haney said. "So it's just going to be hey, the message is you guys did great. At the beginning of the year, we want to improve, so let's really work hard in practice and focus."