CMU DII hockey goes 0-3 on weekend in Saint Louis

Traveling to Saint Louis, Missouri, Central Michigan division II knew it was in for a long weekend of hockey taking on Maryville University twice and Lindenwood. 

The Chippewas fall to 5-8 on the season after losing to Maryville on Friday, Oct. 28. They also dropped two against Lindenwood on Saturday and Sunday. 

“Our team has to play a full 60 minutes,” said head coach Sean Boyle. “On Friday night, we were going into the second period with the lead. And we didn’t play hard for the first five minutes of the period and they scored three quick goals.”

Game Three

With CMU battling exhaustion after a long weekend of quick turnarounds, it didn't take long for the Maryville Saints to take a 3-0 lead. 

“We didn’t start the game,” Boyle said. "And they had three goals before we even knew what happened."

A late goal from senior defenseman Stephen McDonald brought the Chippewas within two goals at the start of the second period. 

Not fazed by CMU's late goal, the Saints scored two goals two minutes apart, extending their lead to 5-1. 

Maryville continued to pour it on, scoring three more goals in the third period. 

Chippewa senior forward Lucas Czopek and senior forward CJ Krzyzak each added a goal, but the final score was 8-3 in favor of the Saints. 

“Lucas Czopek and Stephen McDonald are the guys we are going to look to when things are going sideways,” Boyle said. “Whether it's in the locker room or on the scoreboard or the bench, it is huge to see those guys stepping into that role.” 

Game Two 

Twelve seconds into the first period, Lindenwood recorded its first goal and it kept going. 

Two minutes later, the Lions extended their lead to 2-0. Before the end of the period, Lindenwood added to their lead, sending the Chippewas into the locker room down three. 

Taking control early once again, Lindenwood scored one minute into the second period to take a 5-0 lead. 

Lindenwood continued to pour on the goals with a final score of 10-1. 

Czopek scored the lone goal for the Chippewas. 

“We knew that Lindenwood was going to be a step up no matter what,” Boyle said. “We knew what it was going to be, I mean they (Lindenwood) were number one in the region last year for a reason. We will use this as a tool to get better.”

Game One

Breaking up a Maryville pass and rushing into the zone, senior forward Connor Beemish flung a shot on net. After grabbing the rebound, Beemish flung another shot on net. This time he found the back of the net and put the Chippewas up 1-0 going into the second period. 

Unphased by the Chippewa goal, the Saints tied the game two minutes into the first period. 

One minute later Maryville took its first lead of the game making the score 2-1. Before the end of the period, the Saints extended their lead to two. 

In the third period, senior forward Adam Myziuk squeezed his way through defenders and found open ice. With defenders slashing at his skates, Myziuk flicked a shot on the net that beat the Saints' goalie making it a 3-2 game. 

The Saints sealed the deal with a minute remaining in the third, to secure a 4-2 win. 

The Chippewas travel to Angola, Indiana on Friday, Nov. 4 to take on Trine University at 8 p.m.

“There’s a lot of learning that can be done,” said Boyle. “How to play at this level, how to play with speed, with control, and poise. Those are things we are going to have to work on this week in practice.”