CMU field hockey ends 13-game losing streak against Lindenwood

lrm-export-249225109940748-20191018-164336517

Central Michigan midfielder Georgina Minta celebrates with teammates after scoring a goal against Kent State Oct. 18 at Cristy Freese Field

After falling to Ohio 2-0 on Friday, the Central Michigan field hockey losing streak grew to 13-games. 

However, on Sunday, the Chippewas stopped the slide with a 6-0 victory over Lindenwood.

" Happy the team was finally able to get the win that they have been working so hard for," said head coach Jennifer Johnstone. "We have been competing at practice and in games but haven't had the outcomes we have wanted. 

"We were able to try a system today after some of our athletes returned from injuries that really pushes us to have an attack in numbers and speed in transition."

CMU started fast, finding the back of the cage twice in the first period. Freshman forward Amelia Lane kicked off the scoring on an assist from junior midfielder Kate Biglin. Later in the period, Biglin found senior forward Rachel Ruttenberg to give the Chippewas a 2-0 lead.

CMU kept its foot on the gas and added two more goals in the second period. Lane scored her second goal of the day on an assist from sophomore midfielder Bella D'Allessandro. 

A couple of minutes later, Biglin netted a goal to give the Chippewas a 4-0 lead going into halftime. In the second period, CMU recorded eight shots. 

Right out of halftime, the Chippewas scored again to take a 5-0 lead, as Ruttenberg recorded her second goal on an assist from junior defender Caroline Beairsto.

In the fourth period, senior midfielder Alcie O'Hagan pushed the Chippewas lead to six.

CMU outshot Lindenwood 28 to 8. 

Freshman goalkeeper Maja Halasz recorded three saves en route to her first career shutout. 

Lane and Ruttenberg both scored two goals in the game. Lane now has four goals on the season and Ruttenberg has three. 

Biglin and O’Hagan added to their goal totals and are tied for the team lead with six. 

The Chippewas return to Christy Freese Field on Wednesday against Michigan State at 3 p.m.