CMU field hockey falls to nationally-ranked Ohio State

0b2474cb-b63b-45f9-8684-7b42abe7a3b6
Lancaster, PA. senior Allaura Bohan takes the ball down the sideline against U of M, Sunday, Sep. 5, in CMU’s Soccer and Field Hockey Complex.

Central Michigan field hockey(1-11, 0-3) went to 24-ranked Ohio State(6-5, 1-3) looking to generate more offense, however, it was only able to score one goal as it lost 7-1 on Friday, in Columbus, Ohio. 

The Chippewas losing streak is not at 11 games. 

The Buckeyes jumped off to a quick lead scoring a goal in the first 30 seconds of the game. OSU kept the pressure on and pushed the lead to 3-0 at the end of the first period. 

OSU outshot CMU 12-1 in the period.

In the second period, the Buckeyes got three shots on goal, however, CMU goalie Maja Halasz shut them down. 

Leading goal scorer, Kate Biglin took the only shot on goal for the Chippewas in the period, as OSU outshot CMU 16-2 at the half.

The Chippewas continued their offensive struggles in the second half as Ohio State found its rhythm and scored four straight goals in the third to take a 7-0 lead.

CMU tried to narrow the deficit in the fourth but could not find any offensive opportunities. Until the final minute when Alice O’Hagan found the back of the net on a pass from Heather Canavan for the Chippewas' only goal of the game. O’Hagan now leads the team in goals with six on the season.

“Alice has been a tremendous leader in the past three games,” said head coach Jennifer Johnstone. "Being a senior captain, she leads by example and has really played exceptional for us. She is finding her stride on offense and connecting well with her teammates."

The Chippewas will look to snap their losing streak as they travel to Kent, Ohio to battle Kent State on Sunday.