How to vote in Michigan's Nov. 8 midterm elections

janine-robinson-lcjfbegiom-unsplash
Janine Robinson | Unsplash

The Michigan midterm elections will take place Nov. 8. Here's how to vote if you're not sure what to do, according to the Michigan Department of State.

Polling locations depend on voter addresses and can be found online, including through the state department website. If you have not registered yet, you can go to your county clerk's office within two weeks of election day, including on election day.  

If voters have already registered but cannot – or do not want to – vote in person on election day, they can register for an absentee ballot until Nov. 4. 

For more information on voter registration and absentee ballots, visit the online Michigan Secretary of State Voter Information Center

You do not have to pay to vote. You also do not have to tell anyone who or what you vote for, but you can if you want. 

Voters will be asked to present a photo ID when they go to vote. Acceptable forms include: 

• Michigan driver's license or state ID card. 
  • Current (non-expired) driver's license or personal ID card issued by another state federal or state government-issued photo ID.
  • U.S. passport
  • Military ID card with a photo.
  • Student ID with a photo from a high school or an accredited institution of higher education.
  • Tribal ID card with a photo.

If you do not have a photo ID available when you go to vote, you can request an affidavit ballot. This will allow your vote to be cast provisionally, but you must provide proof of residency and identification to your local clerk no more than the sixth calendar day after the election to verify your vote.                                                                                                                                                                              

If you are not from Michigan but still wish to vote, you can update your address by using your school address, but this will change the address on your license as well.

If you wish to vote in your home state's election, you may still have time to request an absentee ballot. Deadlines for absentee ballots vary by state; you can search your state's ballot deadlines to see if absentee voting is an option for you. 

If you live in a different town in Michigan and wish to vote via absentee ballot, you have until Nov. 4 to request the absentee ballot and need to send it in soon enough that it will be received on or before Nov. 8. More information on absentee ballots in Michigan can be found on the state department website.

At the Sept. 14 Academic Senate meeting, faculty were asked to consider Election Day when planning classes and to be lenient with attendance. If you are a student and plan on being absent from a class to vote, contact your instructor and tell them before Election Day.