CMU Volleyball drop second-straight to Bowling Green

d-volleyball-photo-10-06-22-5

Freshman setter Claire Ammeraal hits the ball during the game against Ohio Thursday, Oct. 6, in McGuirk Arena.

After facing a 3-0 loss to Bowling Green State University (12-7,7-1) Friday, Central Michigan volleyball (11-8, 4-4) looked to have a different ending on night two. However, the Chippewas couldn’t respond Saturday as they faced another sweep from Bowling Green (25-19, 25-20, 25-18) to go winless in the series. 

“I felt it was a flip-flop of last night,” said Head Coach Mike Gawlik. “I felt last night, we defended really well, but we couldn't get our offense going. And then tonight, I thought we did some really nice things offensively, and just let them hit for too high of a percentage. I didn't think all phases of our game were lacking. But we've got to put together a more complete game to beat a team that separated themselves from the conference as being a pretty elite squad.” 

After a low production night in the first matchup, middle blockers Maddie Whitfield and Elly Medendorp led the offensive attack, with Medendorp putting up eight kills on a .500 hitting percentage while Whitfield put up seven with two blocks. 

Senior outside hitter Anna Erickson also helped on the offensive end, putting up 10 kills along with six digs. 

“I think when we're playing well offensively, we do a good job of sharing the load,” Gawlik said. “I think that when Maddie (Whitfield) and Elly (Medendorp) are able to find productivity as middle blockers, that's a really good sign. And then Anna (Erickson) did a decent job for us. … I think that Elly and Maddie helped set the tone tonight for sure.”

Bowling Green went on a 6-2 run to get out to a 14-9 lead to begin the first set. The Falcons kept their small lead throughout, and the Chippewas couldn’t fight off the deficit to drop set one 25-19. 

Back-to-back kills from senior middle blocker Whitfield got the Chippewas going at the start of set two, bounding up 8-4. But the Falcons outscored the Chippewas 5-1 to erase CMU’s lead and tie the match at 13. After exchanging points throughout, the Falcons took set two, 25-20, on a three-point run to go up 2-0 in the match. 

The Falcons jumped out to a 9-3 lead following a six-point run. The Chippewas cut the Bowling Green lead down to 10-8, on a three-point run. However, six-straight points for the Falcons extended their lead to seven, 20-13. Chippewas’ senior Mallory Hernandez came in for the first time in the match and delivered a kill that aided a three-point run to cut the deficit to 22-17. But a Bowling Green kill sealed the third set win, 25-18, as the Chippewas dropped their second-straight match. 

Even with the two losses, Gawlik is hopeful for the rest of the Mid-American Conference play. 

“I don't think there's any reason to hit the panic button,” Gawlik said. “But we do have to improve and keep on improving everyday at practice.

“I think our goal of trying to win the MAC tournament is still very much on the table. … We haven't even hit the halfway point, but we do have to make sure that we're continuing to improve instead of just plateauing.” 

The Chippewas will look to rebound when they return to Mount Pleasant on Wednesday to face off against Eastern Michigan at 6 p.m.