Meet the candidates for Michigan's 92nd House district: Jerry Neyer

jerry-neyer
Jerry Neyer poses by a campaign sign at the Isabella County GOP headquarters Saturday, Nov. 5 in Mount Pleasant, Mich.

Editor's note: In the interest of fairness, Central Michigan Life contacted Neyer's opponents, Anthony Feig and Gregory Black to interview them. Black could not be contacted as of deadline. This article is not an endorsement.

Jerry Neyer is the Republican nominee running for Michigan’s 92nd House district, which includes parts of Isabella and Gratiot counties and the municipalities of Mount Pleasant, Alma, and St. Louis.

Neyer said he got into the race because the area the 92nd district represents is rural and known for its agriculture. He said that he owns a 300 cow dairy farm with his father and brother and that none of the candidates in the race has that in their background. 

“We have several employees that work for us so I understand payroll and I understand small business," Neyer said. "I understand the rural community. I grew up here and have lived here all my life. I currently serve on the Planning Commission of Isabella County so I've been involved in several projects involving growth throughout the community.”

He said he has worked with legislators and legislatures over the years to effect policies and legislation that favor the community and that he can be an effective leader if elected. He also wants to promote the skilled trades and apprenticeship programs for children in school and provide them with good paying jobs so they do not have to leave the state. 

Neyer also addressed the need for fiscal responsibility when it comes to the money the area has received from the federal government during the COVID-19 pandemic. He said he wants to make sure that the money is used for projects that will improve infrastructure and communication systems in the 92nd district. 

When asked what particular experiences or skills have prepared him to serve as a State House representative, Neyer mentioned his involvement in the community through the planning commission, his church and other groups he has been involved in. 

“I'm well aware of what our community needs and wants, and I'm ready to listen and help our community get what we need from the state," Neyer said. "A lot of it (is) just mainly asking the state to allow us to grow and change as we see fit, not as the state sees fit”

According to his website, Neyer considers himself pro-life and pro Second Amendment. He currently resides in Shepherd with his wife of 28 years and has two sons.