SGA session includes discussions of survey, engagement

A question about what restaurant should be included at Central Eats was on the table at the Nov. 7 meeting of the Student Government Association.

Rafael Gaza, a Central Eats team leader, spoke about the Central Eats survey about Tu Taco, a restaurant in the food court. The original idea of Central Eats was to rotate restaurants but there has been no communication from dining services, Garza said. 

Garza encourages all students to take this survey to get opinions on the restaurant. 

In other news that arose during the general board announcements:

• There are still subcommittees open, to learn more or to apply email Natalie Brant at brant1ns@cmich.edu.
  • The academic affair committee is handing out snacks from 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 14 outside Central Eats in the UC.
  • The sustainability committee is having a food drive competition between RSOs from Nov. 14 to Nov. 18. Donations can be dropped off at the student involvement center at the UC. The winning RSO will win a pizza party. 
  • First National Bank is hosting an event for business majors about career opportunities, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Nov. 14 in Grawn 214. 
  • Christian Toney from Resident Housing Association talked about the four open positions:  director of programming, sustainability, national communication coordinator and conference resource consultant. Nominations for the position must be done before the meeting and sent to rha@cmich.edu. The meeting is at 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 21 in the UC auditorium.
  • The athletic department is having a sock drive and all proceeds go to Isabella County. Donation boxes are in the student involvement center, student activity center, and academic center. Socks must be new and in unopened packaging. 

Vice president Natalie Brant encouraged all audience members to vote Nov 8.

“It’s your civic engagement and duty to vote,” Brant said. 

During the house meeting, Brant talked about the protocols house members must maintain in order for their RSOs to be in good standing with SGA. Those protocols include maintaining attendance and only having four unexcused absences and being involved and engaged during the meetings. 

House members then did a legislation voting simulation to practice debating and voting on legislation, for when real legislation is being voted on house members will know what to do.