What happens during a snow emergency?

d_snow_photo_11-15-22_4

Snow falls, Tuesday, Nov. 15, outside of the Biosciences Building. 

Central Michigan University and the City of Mount Pleasant recently addressed operations during the winter season and how to stay safe.

In an email to the campus community, CMU detailed procedures the university can utilize during harsh winter weather.

The following procedures that were listed in the email:

Delayed opening

When CMU issues a delayed opening on campus, this means that due to the weather conditions, CMU Mount Pleasant locations would not open before 11 a.m. In the event of a delay, classes on campus and routine operations/activities would be canceled until 11 a.m., unless otherwise noted.

CMU campus closed

When CMU announces a closure, this means that due to weather conditions, CMU Mount Pleasant locations would not be open that day. In the event of campus closing, classes on campus and routine operations/activities would be canceled until the next day, unless otherwise noted.

Decision times

In the event of a delayed opening or the campus closing, CMU would inform the community at least two hours before the start of classes or events — for example by 6 a.m. for 8 a.m. classes.

If the campus were to announce a delayed opening and then decided to close campus the rest of the day, CMU would inform the community no later than 10 a.m.

Staffing during a delay or closure

Only "designated essential or recalled staff personnel" are required to still come to campus during a delayed opening or cancellation. All other employees are not expected to report to campus until campus is re-opened.

Payment for CMU employees impacted by a delayed opening or closure can be found on the CMU Human Resources website, according to the email. 

Communicating a delay or closure

For more information or to receive notifications for campus delays and closures the following platforms will notify you:

• CMU (@cmich.edu) email address
  • CMU's Facebook and Twitter channels
  • CMU's Central Alert emergency notification system. Visit the Central Alert registration page to verify your subscription information
  • Local and regional media
  • CMU's homepage
  • CMU's information line: 989-774-7500

Events and services during a delay or closure

In the event of a delay or closure on campus, residence halls would remain open, and dining hall facilities and convenience stores within residence halls would be open for regular business hours.

All campus events would be canceled unless communicated otherwise by the organizing department.

Services such as University Recreation and Park Library may continue operations or have different hours during a delay or closure. 

All other services, including CMU Health and CMU Counseling Services, would be closed if the university is closed.

The email from CMU also provided tips for staying safe this winter:

• If individuals feel unsafe coming to campus in certain weather conditions, it is advised to contact your work supervisor.
  • Try not to travel during severe winter weather (blizzards or freezing rain).
  • If you have to travel, take extra time. Be careful when walking in parking lots, steps, ramps and when driving.
  • If you have to go outside, layering up on lightweight clothing will keep you warmer than a single heavy coat. Gloves and a hat will prevent loss of body heat. Cover your mouth to protect your lungs.
  • Employees are encouraged to thoroughly review the Weather Delays and Closures website.
  • Visit CMU's Emergency Management website for more tips on preparing for and taking action during severe weather.

City of Mount Pleasant winter procedures

The city of Mount Pleasant sent out a press release regarding parking during a snow emergency. According to the press release, if a snow emergency is declared by the city, on-street parking will not be permitted. Vehicles that are not removed from the street will be ticketed, the press release said.

Vehicles parked on the street prevent or delay snow removal. Therefore, if ticketing is not effective, the press release said the city may tow vehicles.

The press release also said overnight street parking is allowed throughout the city of Mount Pleasant year-round, except for the in downtown area. Downtown street parking is prohibited between 4 to 6 a.m. year-round.

For updates on snow emergencies when they happen, visit the city's Facebook or blog, or call (989)-779-5320. To receive email notifications, sign up for the city's monthly online newsletter