CMU volleyball racks up post-season awards

2
Sophomore libero/defensive specialist Aly Gurtiza dives for the ball during a match against Western Michigan Saturday, Nov. 12 in McGuirk Arena.

Following a successful regular season for Central Michigan volleyball, senior outside hitter Mallory Hernandez, sophomore Aly Gurtiza, freshman setter Claire Ammeraal and freshman outside hitter Natalia Rejment all received Mid-American Conference post season honors. 

Ammeraal took home All-MAC First Team and MAC All-Freshman Team honors. Bursting onto the scene for the first year as a Chippewa, Ammeraal ranks first in assists with 824 and fourth in digs (236), service aces (21) and blocks (57). She also ranks eighth in the nation in triple-doubles with three. 

Joining Ammeraal on the All-MAC First Team is Hernandez, a senior transfer from Georgia who has led the offensive attack for the Chippewas this season. Hernadez ranks first in both kills (350) and points (387) while also ranking third in blocks with 70. She ranks third in the MAC in both kills and points. 

Rejment, another first year player, earned herself MAC All-Freshman Team honors. Rejment ranks first in service aces (33), third in kills (245) and second in digs (297) for the Chippewas. She ranks seventh in the MAC in aces. 

Sophomore libero Aly Guritza was awarded All-MAC second team honors. Guritza leads the team in digs while ranking second in the MAC and ninth in the nation with 586 digs (5.48 per set). She broke the CMU record for most digs in a single season since rally scoring this year. 

This performance is coming off of a standout freshman year where she ranked first in the MAC in digs and earned herself a spot on the MAC All-Freshman team.

The Chippewas finished the regular season 19-10 and 12-6 in conference play, finishing second in the MAC West.