CMU mens basketball falls to Youngstown State

As Central Michigan basketball freshman guard Max Majerle's original shot missed, the ball found the hands of sophomore center Nicolas Pavrette for the rebound. 

With just over five minutes to play Pavrette finished the shot for his eighth straight point putting CMU within ten as they took on Youngstown State. 

Unable to keep up with the Penguins, the Chippewas fell to Youngstown State 76-65 on Wednesday. 

CMU falls to 4-8 on the season and the Penguins move to 9-4. 

Injuries continue to affect the Chippewas as they were missing sophomore guard Kevin Miller for the seventh consecutive game and freshman guard Emil Skytta. 

Despite scoring first, CMU soon found themselves in a scoring drought allowing Youngstown State to take a five-point lead five minutes into the first half. 

Two minutes later, a jump shot followed by a three-pointer from sophomore center Markus Harding broke the Chippewas drought and tied the game at 10. Harding ended the night with 14 points. 

Both teams continued to find success in the net as the lead bounced back and forth for three minutes before CMU ran cold under the basket allowing the Penguins to go on a 6-0 run taking a 25-17 lead. Senior guard Brian Taylor brought the Chippewas back within five after a two-minute scoring drought. 

Taking advantage of CMU’s turnovers, the Penguins took an eleven-point lead with a minute left in the first half. An off-balance shot from junior guard Jesse Zarzuela cut the lead to nine going into the second half. Zarzuela had 11 points and seven assists. 

Coming back from the half Majerle lit a spark as he intercepted a pass by Youngstown and charged down the court taking the ball to the hoop continuing the Chippewas 7-0 run to put them within three. 

As Youngstown State kept their foot on the gas, CMU was left behind. With just over five minutes to play, Pavrette went on a single 8-0 run to put the Chippewas within 10. Pavrette had eight points and four rebounds. 

Unable to complete the comeback, the Chippewas fell to Youngstown State 76-65. 

The Chippewas head to Ann Arbor to take on Michigan on Thursday, Dec. 29 at 7 p.m.