CMU wrestling goes 0-3 at Journeyman Classic

chippewa-challenge-7
CMU wrestler Corbyn Munson goes for a takedown on Campbell University wrestler Shannon Hanna during their 149 lb match, Jan. 16 in McGuirk Arena.

Still looking to capture their first win of the season, Central Michigan wrestling took on nationally ranked No. 21 North Carolina, No. 1 Penn State and Oregon State on Monday and Tuesday in the Journeyman Classic. 

Unable to find success on the mat, the Chippewas went 0-3 on the weekend and fall to 0-4 on the season. 

Wrestling at 174 pounds, junior Alex Cramer was the first to put the Chippewas on the board defeating Cade Tenold by a major decision of 10-0. Cramer took a 2-0 lead with a takedown in the first period, followed by a four-point near-fall in the second. Escaping in the third and riding time, led Cramer to a victory giving the Chippewas a score of 4 and UNC 21. 

Earning his first win of the season CMU sophomore Bryan Caves wrestled in at 285 pounds as he defeated Brandon Whitman with a final score of 4-1. Caves escaped to tie the match at one in the third period and with 25 seconds left in the match, Caves managed to take down Whitman for two points. Caves ended the match with riding time giving him his first career victory 4-1. Despite his win, the Chippewas fell 28-7. 

Opening the match against Penn State, freshman Anthony Walker recorded his first win wrestling at 125 pounds. Breaking a 3-3 tie with a third-period takedown against Gary Steen, Walker went up 4-3. Holding on to his lead, Walker came out with the 5-4 victory. 

Walker was the only Chippewa to record points with Penn State as they dominated the Chippewas 50-3. 

Wrestling in their final match of the Journeyman Classic on Sunday, Central Michigan was set to take on Oregon State. 

Only two wrestlers were able to get on the board for the Chippewas as they fell to the Beavers 39-10. 

Wrestling at 157 pounds, redshirt senior Corbyn Munson who is ranked No. 31 nationally put CMU on the board first with a 10-1 win over Graham Gambrall. Munson’s win gave the Chippewas a score of 4 while Oregon had 18. 

Ending the meet Caves, earned his first career pin within the first five minutes pinning Ryan Reyes. Caves ended the weekend going 2 for 3. Walker, Cramer, and Munson all went 1 for 3. 

The Chippewas will head to Hoffman Estates, Illinois to compete in the Midland Championships on Thursday.