CMU women’s basketball defeats Chicago State

d-womensbballvsclevelandst-photo-12-8-2022-1

Graduate student forward Nadége Jean drives to the basket during a game against Cleveland State on Thursday, Dec. 8 in McGuirk Arena.

Following a 10-2 run to end the first quarter, Central Michigan women’s basketball never looked back as it started off the new year defeating Chicago State, 80-62 on Sunday. 

The Chippewas move to 2-9 on the season as they head into Mid-American Conference play.

“This week was huge for us to get some momentum,” said head coach Heather Oesterle. 

Leading the offensive effort, CMU freshman guard Sydney Harris secured her 10th double-digit scoring game with 19 points. Freshman guard Bridget Utberg had 13 points, six rebounds and three assists with nine of her points coming from beyond the three-point line. 

“I feel like that's a main part of my game,” Utberg said. “So, I'm glad I've been able to hit them down for the most part.”

On the inside attack, forwards Nadéje Jean and Rochelle Norris both put up 10 points and a combined total of 14 rebounds.

“I was really happy with the way they've had two good days in a row,” Oesterle said. “And they're putting the work in. So, I think if we could continue to stress the importance of getting an inside touch, whether that's a drive or a post touch, it's going to lead to good things for us this year.”

The Chippewas jumped out to a 7-0 lead to begin the first quarter following five-straight points from Harris. The Cougars shot back with a 9-2 run to pull within one of CMU. However, the Chippewas went on a 10-2 run to end the quarter with a 26-17 lead. 

Following their run, the Chippewas had trouble generating points in the second quarter as they shot 4-of-20 from the field. CMU defense was able to hold the Cougars to 14 points and the Chippewas went into halftime with a 38-31 advantage. 

After a slow start in the first half, Jean found her touch securing six points to begin the third quarter aiding a 10-2 run for the Chippewas to extend their lead into double digits. CMU outscored the Cougars 18-11 in the third quarter taking a 56-42 lead into the last 10 minutes.

CMU maintained its lead throughout the fourth quarter and a 15-4 run sealed the win, 80-62.

The Chippewas welcome Northern Illinois to McGuirk Arena to kick off the MAC regular season on Wednesday at 7 p.m.