CMU softball kicks off season on Friday at the T-Mobile Tournament in Florida

sball_4_10
General: The CMU Softball team split a double-header against NIU on Sunday, April 10 at Margo Jonker Stadium. The Chippewas won the second game in a mercy rule with a final score of 12-4. Photo: Harrison Township junior Samantha Mills celebrates with teammates after the double-header against NIU on Sunday, April 10 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

After placing third in the Mid-American Conference last season, Central Michigan softball is back in action as it starts the 2023 season on Friday. 

“I think as any season begins, we're just trying to get better every day,” head coach McCall Salmon said. “As we start non-conference, getting the opportunity to play another opponent will be nice after scrimmaging ourselves for the last how many months so it'll be nice to get out and play someone else. And we'll just look to continue to grow on our strengths and improve our weaknesses and get ready for when MAC play is ahead of us.”

The Chippewas were voted second in the preseason MAC poll, going into the year with one first place vote. 

“On a positive note, it’s better than our seventh (preseason place) last year,” junior center fielder Abbey Tolmie said. “But still, we have that chip on our shoulder, we want to be number one. We know we can do it and we're working towards that number. So, two was a little bit better, but we're nowhere near satisfied.”

Last season, CMU finished 27-26 overall and 17-11 in conference play. The Chippewas will have a lot of similar faces from last year with seven seniors and 10 juniors leading the way. 

“This is the first time since us as a staff has been here that we've had so much experience overall,” Salmon said. “...We're definitely a group that has experience not only in MAC play, non-conference play, now from MAC tournament play, so they've set the foundation for the newcomers and gotten everyone on board, so I'm excited to see those experiences continue to lead into success on the field.” 

Having a good core of returning players filled with experience is important for the team to build a bond that helps them carry through the season. 

“I think just continuing the leadership, unconditional love and just overall moving in the same direction for Team 45 is what we're focused on right now,” Tolmie said. 

Junior pitcher Grace Lehto is one of the notable returners for CMU following a 2022 campaign where she went 16-13 with a 3.14 ERA and 156 strikeouts.

Tolmie returns for her third year as a Chippewa. On the offensive end, Tolmie was a consistent lead-off for CMU, starting in all 53 games and batting a .343 last season. She also was a reliable source in the field, recording 82 putouts and no errors. 

“(I want) to continue to utilize my leadership skills, my voice on the field, be a reliable person in the outfield,” Tolmie said. “That way, when the pitchers have a ball hit up, they know it's going to get caught… I was lead-off last year, so just getting on base and letting my batters behind me see as many pitches as we can is going to help us be successful.”

Also returning for another season is redshirt junior Caitlyn Britton, who was the designated hitter for the Chippewas in 2022, hitting a .311 average with 11 home runs and 39 RBI’s. 

“We want to win the MAC tournament, win the MAC in general,” Britton said. “I think that's just one of our biggest goals is just to keep competing every game and win every series and play game by game and for me just making sure (I’m) just hitting the ball up the middle.” 

Junior Michaleigh Vallimont will also be helping with the offensive load for CMU. Vallimont ended last season with a .338 batting average while recording 54 hits and 21 RBI’s. In the outfield, she had a .955 fielding percentage. 

Salmon says that consistency from the team will be one of their main focuses throughout the season. 

“Offensively, we return almost everybody so … all of our hitters have gotten better,” Salmon said. “So, you know, (I’m) excited to see what they can do but consistency across the board every single day, is going to be one of the main keys I'll be looking for.” 

The Chippewas will begin the season as they travel to Gainesville, Florida for the T-Mobile Tournament starting on Friday against Delaware State at 2 p.m.  

“I'm excited about the competition that we have, not only in Florida, but non-conference overall,” Salmon said. “So, it's definitely going to prepare us for MAC play … championships aren't won on day one. Championships are won with consistency and progress throughout a season, so just excited to compete.”