CMU wrestling drops final match to Michigan

d-wrestlingvsmichiganstate-photo-2-17-23-4
Redshirt junior Johnny Lovett wrestles Michigan State's Peyton Omania during a dual against Michigan State Friday, Feb. 17 in McGuirk Arena. Lovett won with a 12-4 major decision.

In its final match of the season, Central Michigan wrestling fell to No. 11 University of Michigan on Sunday with a final score of 30-9. 

The Chippewas finish their regular season 6-10 overall and 5-1 in the Mid-American Conference, while also achieving MAC West Division Champions for the second year in a row. 

The Chippewas dropped their first three matches giving the Wolverines a 16-0 lead going into the 149-pound match. 

Redshirt senior Johnny Lovett (149) got CMU on the board first with a 12-5 victory over Chance Lamer. Lovett's victory gave the Chippewas a score of three, making the match score 16-3.He know has seven consecutive victories, moving him to 15-9 on the season. Lovett's victory was his tenth of his last 13. 

The Chippewas dropped their next two matches at 157 and 165 extending the Wolverines lead to 22-3. 

CMU junior Alex Cramer defeated Joseph Walker with an 8-7 victory in the 174 weight class and junior Cameron Wood took down Michigans Brendin Yatooma with a 4-2 victory in the 197 weight class.  The Chippewas wrapped their final regular season meet with a final score of nine and a match score of 30-9. 

CMU will head to the Mid-American Conference Championships in Fairfax, Virginia to compete on March 3 and March 4.