'It's a great team win for us': CMU gymnastics wins last regular season meet

d-gymnasticsvsemu-photo-2-3-2023-8
Freshman Luciana Alvarado-Reid performs on floor during a meet against Eastern Michigan Friday, Feb. 3 in McGuirk Arena. Alvarado-Reid scored a 9.85 on this routine .

Central Michigan University gymnastics won its last regular season and conference meet against Kent State 196.175-195.975 on Sunday. The Chippewas will return to Ohio this weekend for the Mid-American Conference championships.

“Being on the road has allowed us to learn how to adapt to different equipment and different environments,” head coach Christine MacDonald said. “Being here (Kent State) today is like a dress rehearsal, which is very nice for us as well, to be in that arena the weekend before conference.”

The Chippewas started on bars. Senior Hannah DeMers tied for first with the golden flashes’ Sarah Haxton with 9.850. Junior Adriana Bustelo was unable to finish her routine after a fall, but returned for her beam routine. Bustelo has averaged a 9.336 on bars this season. 

Sophomore Lia Kmieciak took first on vault, recording a 9.875, her new career best. Junior Elizabeth Cesarone and DeMers were in a three-way tie for second with Kent State’s Kyndall Gilbert, with 9.850.

“We have a very strong conference,” MacDonald said. “It’s always going to be a great competition on the day that we all meet up. We’re looking forward to next weekend.”

CMU had high-scoring performances in its final two rotations. Senior Taylor Pitchell tied her career best on floor with 9.950, taking the top spot. DeMers tied for second with Karlie Franz, with 9.925. 

In their last rotation, freshman Luciana Alvarado-Reid recorded a new career best on beam with 9.925 securing first place. Senior Aleysia Kolyvanova took second with 9.875. 

The Chippewas move to 4-2 in Mid-American Conference competition and 5-4 overall. 

CMU will return to Kent, Ohio, for the MAC championship at 2 p.m. on Saturday. 

“This conference is very deep and we have a lot of great gymnasts in it and not just individually, but teams,” MacDonald said.