CMU softball finishes 5-4 at The Spring Games

softball-4-30-04
Sophomore utility player Caitlyn Britton celebrates with Abbey Tolmie after Tolmie scores on Saturday, April 30, at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Closing out at The Spring Games in Madeira Beach, Florida, Central Michigan softball finished 5-4 with a victory over Southern Indiana on Tuesday and split a doubleheader against Army on Wednesday.

The Chippewas move to 8-9 overall on the season. 

Game 1

Taking on Southern Indiana for the second time at The Spring Games, CMU sent two balls over the wall to secure a 5-1 victory on Tuesday. 

The Chippewas opened the scoring in the first inning with a sacrifice RBI groundout to the pitcher from redshirt junior Caitlyn Britton scoring junior outfielder Michaleigh Vallimont who reached on a fielder's choice. 

With a two-hit inning in the third, Southern Indiana tied the game at one with an RBI single from senior Allie Goodin to score junior Mackenzie Bedrick. 

Unphased by the Eagles tying the game, Vallimont led off the third inning with a solo home run to left, taking back the lead. To add onto the Chippewas lead, redshirt junior infielder Skylar Coberley sent the ball over the wall to make the score 3-1. 

After back-to-back outs in the fourth inning, senior infielder Peighton Root gave CMU life again with a two-out walk. Junior outfielder Abbey Tolmie followed up with a single down the left field line moving Root to second. A single up the middle from Vallimont recorded her second RBI of the game as Root crossed the plate for the Chippewas to extend their lead 4-1. CMU ended the inning with Tolmie scoring on a wild pitch making the score 5-1. 

Holding onto their lead, the Chippewas secured the 5-1 victory defeating Southern Indiana for the second time at The Spring Games. 

Sophomore Madelyn Wallace took the mound for the Chippewas pitching five innings and earning the win. Wallace struck out two batters and walked four before redshirt junior Faith Howe took over for the last two innings only giving up one hit, no runs, and striking out one batter. 

Game 2

After a back-and-forth battle all game, the Chippewas fell to Army in game one of their doubleheader on Wednesday with a score of 4-3. 

Junior Grace Lehto took the mound for game one and got the loss but set a career-high in strikeouts with 15, beating her previous record of 12. 

Coming out hot in the first inning, freshman infielder Angela Petrovitch singled up the middle to give CMU its first base runner of the game. Following a walk to Vallimont, senior outfielder Kelsey Alexander singled to shortstop to load the bases for Coberley who reached after getting hit by a pitch allowing Petrovitch to give the Chippewas their first lead of the game, 1-0. 

Following a double from Army's Angelina Bebeck, Kayla Edwards reached first base on a CMU error allowing Bebeck to score and tie the game at one. 

The Chippewas quickly took back their lead in the bottom half of the third starting with a single from Vallimont. Taking advantage of an Army error, Alexander reached first and moved Vallimont to second. A single to right center from Coberley loaded the bases for junior infielder Lucy Cronin. Cronin singled to the pitcher, allowing Vallimont and Alexander to score and take back the lead with a score of 3-1. 

A two-run home run from Army in the top of the fifth inning tied the game back at three. 

Coming down to the final inning, Army led off with a single through the left side from freshman Caitlyn Newburn. Newburn later scored, taking back the lead with an RBI single from Edwards to make the score 4-3.

CMU was unable to come back in the final inning as Army secured the victory, 4-3. 

Game Three

After falling to Army in game one of its doubleheader on Wednesday, CMU came back to split the doubleheader winning the second game with a final score of 3-0.

Following three scoreless innings, the Chippewas finally got on the board in the fourth inning starting off with a single from Cronin through the left side. Following an error on a single to left field from Britton, Cronin crossed home plate making the score 1-0. 

CMU added to its lead in the sixth inning due to a two-run home run to centerfield from Cronin for her first home run of her career, to make the score 3-0. 

Senior Kaitlyn Bean took the mound for the Chippewas, only giving up two hits and striking out four batters. Bean moves to 3-4 on the season. 

With Army unable to get past Bean and the CMU defense, the Chippewas kept them off the board securing victory with a score of 3-0. 

CMU heads to Minneapolis, Minnesota for the University of Minnesota tournament, starting off on Friday against St. Thomas at 10 a.m.