An ongoing revolution: the Forten family traces back to CMU

dsc-5798
A display at Clarke Historical Library on Thursday, Sept. 29.

On March 28, the Clarke Historical Library continued its speaker series by hearing from Matthew Skic, a curator at the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia (MARP). 

Skic introduced the Forten family, who serve as the focus of the museum’s current exhibit: “Black Founders,” and explained the family’s connection to Central Michigan University. 

“We have on loan from the Clarke Historical Library a letter from James Forton’s daughter, Sarah,” Skic said. 

The main connection to CMU comes from Sarah Forton, one of the daughters of James and Charlotte Forton. According to Skic’s research, their family was one of the richest Black families in Philadelphia, if not the entire United States at the time. 

The Fortons used their wealth and influence to further abolition movements, and in 1833, Sarah Forton, her mother and two sisters were four of the twenty-nine women who signed the constitution of the Philadelphia Female Anti-Slavery Society, Skic said.  

A more recognizable name might be Lucretia Mott, who was one of the Quaker women who had initially set out to create the group. Mott and her compatriots were forced to create a group specifically for women because the existing Philadelphia Anti-Slavery Society didn’t extend membership to women, according to Skic’s research. 

MARP is borrowing a letter from CHL, which was written by Sarah Forton, Skic said. The letter talked about the PFAS' recent fundraising event. 

The letter's recipient was Elizabeth Whittier from the Boston Female Anti-Slavery Society. 

Skic said the letter came into the possession of CMU by donation. 

“Ms. Marion McClench, a descendent of John Whittier, donated some of the papers she inherited to CMU,” Skic said. 

According to his research, Skic said Sarah Forton was better known for her poetry, which was published around the New England area, including in the publication “The Liberator.” 

“Sarah Forton was a frequent writer of poetry and that’s how she became known outside Philadelphia,” Skic said. 

“The cold storms of winter shall chill him no more His woes and his sorrows, his pains are all o’er The sod of the valley now covers his form He is safe in his last home, he feels not the storm.”

Skic said that this poem specifically was incredibly compelling at the time and made a name for her. 

This exhibit at the Museum of the American Revolution, which has over 100 documents and artifacts of the Forten family, will be open until Nov. 26, 2023, he said, and the museum website also offers a 360 degree experience online.