Vallimont and Wallace earn MAC Softball Player of the Week Honors

sball_4_10-11
Trenton freshman Michaleigh Vallimont cheers on second base during the double-header against NIU on Sunday, April 10 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Following a 2-3 weekend at the Gopher Indoor Classic, Central Michigan softball swept the Mid-American Conference Player of the Week honors. Junior Michaleigh Vallimont earned player of the week while sophomore Madelyn Wallace was named pitcher of the week. 

In the eight games the Chippewas played last week, Vallimont recorded at least one hit in every matchup, securing four multi-hit games. She went 13-for-29 (.448) at the plate while also recording a .724 slugging percentage, three RBIs and two home runs.

Vallimont currently ranks fourth in the MAC and second on the team in batting percentage with .413. Vallimont ranks second on the team in runs scored with 13 and RBIs with 12.

On the mound Wallace went 2-1 last week in 16.1 innings pitched. In the final game of the Gopher Indoor Classic, Wallace pitched 6.1 innings, allowing one run on three hits while recording a season-high five strikeouts. 

This season, Wallace is 4-2 with 33 innings pitched, securing 17 strikeouts and registering a 2.33 ERA which ranks third in the MAC. 

Throughout the week, CMU went 4-4 to move to 10-12 overall on the season as the MAC season approaches.

The Chippewas travel to East Lansing to face off against Michigan State on Tuesday at 5 p.m.