Central Sustainability leading the way to a greener campus

CMU student drive waste management and recycling initiatives

4-dsc-5219

Eric Urbaniak, co-founder of Central Sustainability, speaks on CMU's advancements in sustainability during the State of the Student Body Friday, April 21 in the Health Professions Building. Urbaniak discussed the creation of an on-campus farmer's market next year where students will be able to buy fresh food.

Central Michigan University's student-led sustainability office is making strides in promoting sustainability on campus and in the community. The organization, Central Sustainability, has championed initiatives including waste management, energy conservation, and social and cultural sustainability.

"One of the highlights of the program is a composting program that diverts 330 tons of food waste from landfills annually, "said Eric Urbanik, co-founder and lead sustainability coordinator of Central Sustainability.

The office has also partnered with vendors to facilitate waste-management solutions, such as recycling and electronics disposal.

Bay City senior Eric Urbaniak grabs a bag of waste to be weighed during a waste audit of CMU Wednesday, Sep. 14 outside the Bovee University Center.

Urbaniak believes that sustainability is crucial for creating a more-resilient world and campus for everyone. He emphasizes the importance of including people in the solution to sustainability, integrating various perspectives such as environmental, social, economic, cultural and mental health.

He said: "Students have a significant role to play in protecting the environment by educating themselves about sustainability and modifying their behavior towards sustainable practices."

The office has also prioritized education and outreach to empower students to advocate for sustainability. It works with CMU Dining and the administration to develop the university's  purchasing policy, ensuring that sustainability is integrated into the institution's core operations. 

Furthermore, the office has been promoting social and cultural sustainability through community building and inclusivity. In collaboration with the Saginaw Chippewa Tribal College, Central Sustainability has designed and planted a traditional Anishinaabeg garden at the Fabiano Botanical Garden. 

"Additionally, two buildings on campus have solar panels and green roofs, while the university is working on utilizing water more efficiently through initiatives such as community gardens,"  Urbaniak said.

Urbaniak said students can take simple actions such as using reusable water bottles, walking instead of driving, taking shorter showers and washing with cold water. He also said: "They can engage with their communities to promote awareness of environmental issues and break down geographic barriers".

Central Sustainability launched its Campus Grows program for the summer, and students are invited to participate by purchasing a plot to garden on campus. For just $15, students can cultivate their gardens throughout the season, with the opportunity to grow whatever they choose.

According to Eric Urbaniak, the program is open to anyone in the community who wishes to participate. 

"This provides an excellent opportunity for students to engage with sustainable practices and contribute to the campus community in a meaningful way," he said.

The sustainability office could also serve as a resource for students pursuing sustainability projects or research. The office regularly hosts clean-up events, panel discussions and other opportunities for students to get involved.

As the world faces increasing environmental challenges, the work of Central Sustainability emphasizes the importance of the role that students can play in creating a more sustainable future. 

"We want to create a sustainable future for everyone," Urbaniak said. "It all starts with sustainability."