Student Government Association discusses new legislation, announces April events

sga-43

Student Government Association discussed a new legislation Monday, April, 4 at the Bovee University Center.

Student Government Association at Central Michigan University discussed new legislation and held announcements from different student organizations about upcoming events Monday, April 3, at the Bovee University Center Auditorium. 

House discusses a new legislation 

SGA House Representative John Jones proposed legislation called “A Resolution to Ensure Effective Severe Weather Preparedness and Response on Campus.” Jones worked on it together with Haley Palmquist and Lily Okane; the legislation is sponsored by the CMU Student Chapter of the American Meteorological Society.

Jones said they think CMU is not properly prepared for severe weather conditions. For example, Jones remembered the last tornado warning that happened in September 2021. They said they didn’t feel that students were educated on how to behave during the tornado warning or given proper directions.

“In fact, many professors did not know how to appropriately respond to the possible threat of a tornado in our area,” Jones said. “I have written legislation here to try and fix that.”

The legislation offers to conduct tornado drills in resident halls and placeshelter areas only on the first floors of the buildings. It also encourages all professors to provide students with information about shelters, requires emergency response training for resident assistants and urges CMU to participate in the Michigan Statewide Tornado Drill program.

"As a university campus with a diverse population of students, CMU faces unique challenges in severe weather response," reads the text of the legislation. "Best practices such as the National Weather Service’s 'know your shelter' campaign, and regular tornado drills may bridge the gaps in campus readiness for severe thunderstorms and tornadoes." 

The legislation was sent out to the House members to review after the meeting, according to Ashley Harvey, speaker of the House.

Speakers and announcements

The Monday meeting started off with the speakers from Central Sustainability, a student-run office that is dedicated to keeping CMU sustainable. Eric Urbaniak, Tiffany Jurge and Meghan VanDamme, Central Sustainability coordinators, announced Earth Week events. They included:

• Faculty panel: Environmentally displaced persons from Central Sustainability will discuss how climate change affects the global refugee population from 7 to 8:30 p.m. April 13 in French Auditorium
  • Central Sustainability will also host a waste audit from 10 a.m. to noon, and a Sustainability walking tour will take place at 7 p.m. on April 19 at the front lawn of the Bovee University Center.
  • Soup and Substance event with Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe and Office for Institutional Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will take place from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. on April 20 at the Bovee University Center Terrace Rooms.

To register for the events, go to the Central Sustainability website. To find more about the events from Central Sustainability visit its Instagram

Some of other announcements were delivered from Nova Moore from oSTEM and Ella Guikema from CMU American Sign Language Society. 

Sapphic Love in Floriography event will invite new oSTEM members and get students together to plant flower seeds from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on April 6 in Anspach 156. 

The CMU American Sign Language Society will hold a workshop about sign language in healthcare from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on April 11 at the Health Professions room 1255. 

Daphne Frias will be a keynote speaker for the Public Health 2.0: Bringing a Generational Divide event at 7 p.m. on April 5 at the Health Professions room 1020.  The event is the 31 annual Elizabeth Lockwood Wheeler Lecture. Some of the event sponsors are Eta Sigma Gamma, CMU Health Professions and Central Sustainability. 

A new student organization coming in fall 2023 is a fitness club called CHAARG. It will offer mental health resources and workouts like zumba, yoga and boxing according to its Instagram.

"Our mission is to help college woman feel more comfortable (and) confident in the gym," reads the CHAARG's flyer.

CHAARG's informational meeting will take place at 3:30 p.m. on April 6 at Carey Lounge. To join CHAARG, complete an interest form.