Petitions for city commissioner seats become available

stockbordenbuilding-2

The sun sets on City Hall in this 2019 file photo from downtown Mount Pleasant.

Interested in nominating one of the next city commissioners? Brian Assmann and Brian Chapman are currently city commissioners, but their terms are coming to an end on Dec. 31. 

The next term opening up starts at the beginning of 2024 and ends in December of 2026. 

City Clerk Heather Bouck gave a synopsis of the responsibilities of a city commissioner. 

“They set the policy and make the decisions as far as the city goes,” she said. 

Commissioners are expected to attend two meetings every month, where they can approve budgets and purchases, appoint some positions in the city government and participate in the legal filings of some cases. 

She also said that Assmann and Chapman can run for re-election if they want to maintain their seats for another term. 

According to a press release from the city, petitions to nominate individuals for city commissioner are available at the clerk’s office 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Clerk’s office is located at 320 W. Broadway St. 

These petitions, according to the release, must have between 50 and 80 signatures to be valid, and can be submitted starting June 26, 2023. The cutoff for filing petitions is 4 p.m. July 25, 2023. 

After nomination, candidates will be part of the election taking place Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2023.