‘It’s a fantastic day’: the CMU college of medicine class of 2023 celebrates graduation

d-graduatestudentcommencement-photo-5-5-2023-22

A graduate closes their eyes while receiving a hood during the graduate student commencement Friday, May 5 in McGuirk Arena. 

There was an air of excitement, nerves and anticipation at McGuirk Arena before the graduation ceremony for the seventh graduating class of CMU’s medical school on Friday, May 5. 

Almost 100 students graduated with their medical degrees, ready to enter the workforce in a variety of medical professions. 

Emily Smith is planning to go into family medicine after getting her M.D. She said that the eight years she’s been working toward her degree hasn’t always been easy, but there were some things that made it easier. 

“I think having family support and things to do outside of medicine helps,” she said. 

In his speech during the ceremony, George Kikano echoed this idea. Kikano is the dean of the College of Medicine and the vice president for health affairs. 

“Healthcare is truly a collaborative effort, and no one can do it alone,” Kikano said. 

As graduates walked across the stage, their hoods were placed over their cap and gown by a faculty member before they were handed their diploma. Some, however, had loved ones present to place their hoods. 

These approximately 10 individuals brought fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers and fiancés with them on stage for this honor. Most of these were doctors themselves, and got big hugs or warm handshakes onstage.

Another student who graduated on Friday is Ahmad Khasawneh, who has been working towards his M.D. for 10 years. 

Khasawneh said he spent four years earning his undergraduate degree at Wayne State University before working as a lab technician for two years, and finally spending four years at CMed. 

“It’s worth it at the end of the day,” Khasawneh said. 

He said he’s planning to work in diagnostic radiology, and has learned more along the way than how to practice medicine. 

“I feel like I’ve strengthened my personality and my character,” Khasawneh said. “I hope I can transfer that to my patients.”

Related content: GALLERY: Graduate student commencement

President Bob Davies, center, addresses the graduates during the graduate student commencement Friday, May 5 in McGuirk Arena.