Student Government Association: 'We are here to represent the students, and we want to hear your voices'

Revised Bylaws and committee overview

d-sgainauguration-photo-4-24-23-01
Incoming President Tyler Zimmerman gives an address during the Inauguration of the 104th Central Michigan University Student Government Association Administration on Monday, April 24 in the Health Professions building.

The Student Government Association at Central Michigan University held its second meeting at the at 7 p.m. on Sept. 25 at the Bovee University Center Auditorium.

The general meeting started off with guest speakers on information about the Park Library, Student Budget Allocation Committee (SBAC), review of the updated bylaws and an overview of committees in SGA.  

Updated Bylaws

SGA Vice President Ryan Biller reviewed the changes in Bylaws and Policy with SGA members.

One of the major changes involved adding an executive branch titled Director of International Student Service Liaison and Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), which allows any and all students or registered student organization (RSO) representatives to be included in the Board of Trustee Meetings to openly discuss any concerns or questions.    

“There’s a limited number of spots, especially when we're bringing guests … so we want to leave that open to anyone who would like to speak to the Board of Trustees,” SGA President Tyler Zimmerman said. “If you have a pressing issue that you would like to be brought to the board, if deemed appropriate, I can invite you to attend those meetings with us.”  

Another notable change that was discussed is the requirement that the Senate and House must meet at the same time pertaining to legislation.  

Biller said that the first round of Senate elections will be held on SGA's Monday Oct. 9 meeting.  

“This is to ensure that legislation goes through smoothly … and timetables stay consistent,” Zimmerman said. “On top of that, it's just a fairness thing as well. If we’re expecting one to meet then the other should meet at the same time just to ensure that all student voices are being heard.”                    

The Bylaws and policy are available to be viewed on Engage Central. They will be debated and voted on in the next meeting.  

Committee Overview

After the general meeting was adjourned, members and RSO representatives were given the opportunity to meet with a committee of their choice.    

The committee and their chairs included Governmental Affairs with Joseph Marah, Outreach and Engagement with Ashley Harvey, Sustainability with Genevieve Thomas, Academic Affairs with Annie Laurenz and Diversity with Lucia Dominguez.  

The chair of each committee gave an introduction to who they were and what their committee was about.  

RSO representatives have two weeks to choose which committee they would like to be involved in.  

House and SBAC 

Joshua Boman, the new Speaker of the House for the 2023-2024 school year, intends to have a "successful" year with the help of the House and members of SGA.  

“This is your chance to use your voice,” Boman said. “We're gonna try to have a very productive year for the House of Representatives.”  

Boman also held elections for the House of Representatives opening up six seats for those who are interested in being on SGA's SBAC.

Treasurer Natalie Brant announced an orientation night for those interested in SBAC which will be held tomorrow night in the Bovee UC auditorium on Sept. 26 at 7 p.m. 

If there are any questions regarding SBAC, contact Brant at brant1ns@cmich.edu.

Guest Speakers

Guest speakers, Katie Edminston, Shu Guo and Rebecca Renirie are librarians at the Park Library.

They spoke to SGA members about the resources and services that are provided at the library along with information on the many different types of articles, databases, journals and more available at the Park Library.