Jase Bauer earns MAC Offensive Player of the Week

d-footballvsnotredame-action-photo-9-16-23-02
Redshirt sophomore quarterback Jase Bauer looks to pass the ball during a game against Notre Dame, Saturday, Sept. 16 at Notre Dame Stadium in Indiana. Bauer passed 137 yards, rushed 16 yards and scored one touchdown.

On the first play of the fourth quarter against South Alabama, redshirt sophomore quarterback Jase Bauer broke a tackle in the backfield to then deliver a 70-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Jesse Prewitt III to put the Chippewas up by 10. 

Bauer’s performance through the air and on the ground aided CMU in its 34-30 win over the Cougars and earned him Mid-American Conference West Offensive Player of the Week. 

This is the first time Bauer has received the honor during his time with the Chippewas. 

In the win, Bauer had a career-high in passing yards with 224, completing 63.3% of his passes and one touchdown through the air. 

Along with finding success in the passing game, Bauer rushed 55 yards, adding a career-high four touchdowns on the ground. One of the scores came in the final seconds when Bauer rushed up the middle for a four-yard touchdown, giving the Chippewas the lead to secure the win. 

After having minimal playing time to start the season, Bauer has burst onto the scene in the last two weeks for CMU. Through two games, Bauer threw for 361 yards and rushed for 71, securing six total touchdowns and no interceptions. 

CMU ended non-conference play in the win column to move to 2-2 on the season. 

The Chippewas will begin MAC play against Eastern Michigan at Kelly/Shorts Stadium on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.