CMU volleyball swept by Western

d-volleyballvstoldeo-photo-09302023-06

Central Michigan University girls volleyball team screams at each other for encouragement during the game on Saturday, Sept. 30, in McGuirk Arena. (CM-Life | Jenna Spanola) 

Despite two lead changes and three tie ups early in the third set, Central Michigan volleyball was unable to keep its momentum allowing Western Michigan to sweep the Chippewas in three sets. 

“I thought we played two pretty good sets,” head coach Mike Gawlik said. “I thought then the wheels fell off in set three.”

The Broncos remain undefeated in Mid-American Conference play while CMU moves to 2-6 in the MAC. 

“When you have the opportunity to win against a good team, you got to jump on it ... there’s some sets where they play a complete set and it’s tough to get there,” Gawlik said. “In set three they got out in front of us pretty early, and it got ugly.” 

The first set final score was 25-17 and the second set was by an even tighter margin 25-22. However, the final set that secured victory for Western was a thirteen-point difference of 25-12. 

“It wasn’t for lack of effort, but we have to be a little bit more composed and poised in big moments to be able to handle the scoring opportunities that we feel are out there to take advantage of,” Gawlik said. 

Leading in kills for the Chippewas was junior outside hitter Linnea Willer with 10. Willer and graduate student outside hitter Devon Bright each had one ace apiece. 

At the front of the net, junior outside hitter Lauren Schrock recorded three blocks while sophomore setter Claire Ammeraal and senior middle blocker Elly Medendorp each had two. 

“We have to disrupt their ability to run their offense by serving tough and taking some big swings in transition,” Gawlik said. 

The Chippewas look to split the series with the Broncos on Friday at 5 p.m. in Kalamazoo. 

“We have to better with our first ball over the net, whether that’s serve or attack, to put ourselves in position where they can’t run as cleanly with their offense as they have,” Gawlik said.