CMU men's basketball advances to Sunshine Slam Championship

d_louisianamonroe_photo_11-11-23_08
ULM's senior forward Nika Metskhvarishvili attempts to block CMU's graduate student and guard Brian Taylor, Saturday, Nov. 11, in McGuirk Arena. (CM-Life | Nico Mendoza)

After Siena had cut Central Michigan’s 15-point lead to just three points around halfway through the second half, graduate guard Brian Taylor hit a three extending the Chippewas lead to six.

The shot revived the Chippewas offense that had went cold about halfway through the second half. In the final eight minutes of the contest, CMU scored 20 points giving the team it’s second win of the season, 70-56.

Taylor who hasn’t had the ideal start to his season, had the game high with 21 points on an effective 58 percent shooting from the field. It was also the first time this season he scored 20 points, along with being the second Chippewa to score 20 points in a game this season.

“It was much needed from Brian,” head coach Tony Barbee said. “I got ultimate confidence in him, and his teammates do as well. Sometimes Brian struggles with his own confidence and your confidence is based out of how hard you work and what you're putting into your craft and for Brian, today it paid off.”

The CMU defense stole the show as it forced Siena into 21 turnovers throughout the game, leading to 26 points off turnovers for the Chippewas. In comparison to Sienna, CMU only had 11 turnovers in the game which the Saints turned into only four points.

“We guarded our tails off,” Barbee said. “In the first half we got what we call kills, which is three straight turnovers in a row. They turn into a lot of offense, but we had five kills that's 15 stops in a row.” 

Four of the five starters in the game all recorded two or more steals, with junior guard Anthony Pritchard leading the team with four.

Steals wasn’t the only category Pritchard led in as he led the team in rebounds with seven and assists with nine. Pritchard also added 18 points on 72 percent shooting (8-11). He is yet to score under 10 points in a game this season.

“We went to that spread action with the paint clear and we let Pritch (Anthony Pritchard) go to work,” Barbee said. “He created a lot of offense for us he had ... nine total (assists) that's a heck of an effort.”

The Chippewas didn’t get off to the quickest start in Monday’s contest but were able to build a 12-point lead with nine minutes remaining in the first half as Pritchard capped off a 12-2 run with a layup giving the Chippewas a 18-6 lead. Pritchard scored 10 of the first 18 points for CMU.

Both teams traded baskets throughout the remainder of the half with the Chippewas heading into the break with a 30-19 lead.

CMU’s offense then came out firing in the second half as the team scored 12 points in the first 4 minutes. Central Michigan had its biggest lead of the game with 15:48 remaining in the second half as junior forward Markus Harding hit a three, extending the Chippewas advantage to 19.

In the following five minutes, the Saints would outscore the Chippewas 21-5, cutting the lead to only three points with eight minutes remaining.

Taylor’s big three gave CMU the momentum it needed to close out the game as it was able to open back up a 16-point lead eventually leading to the Chippewas winning the game.

CMU will look to keep the momentum rolling as it takes on the winner of Milwaukee and Stetson, in the Sunshine Slam (ocean bracket) Championship game on Tuesday at noon.

“In a couple hours figure out who we're going to play and then get the game plan and it's gonna be a quick turnaround,” Barbee said. “Glad we did play early though, because now that we won, we play again at noon tomorrow. So at least we get more rest than whoever we are playing against.”