Would you get high with your parents?

smoking-with-your-parents

Photo Illustration

Many people aged 21 and older partake in smoking marijuana, especially now since recreational consumption is legal 24 states, two territories and the District of Columbia, according to the National Council of State Legislatures. While it is almost normal for most people, especially those in college, many students and younger smokers won’t smoke or get high with their parents. 

For some students, it is uncomfortable to even bring up smoking with their parents because of their views or opinions. Smoking with them isn’t even a thought taken into consideration. 

“They don’t like smoking,” Oakland Community College student Jeremy Weatherford said. “So, there’s no chance I would ever smoke with them. And even if they were OK with it, I think I would just find them more annoying.” 

Another student who chose to remain anonymous to protect her image for future job considerations also doesn’t smoke with her parents. For her, it has to do with respecting her parents, as well as the closeness of their relationship. 

“I have never gotten high with my parents,” she said. “Getting high in front of them or with them seems almost wrong or disrespectful. I think weed has a negative connotation and ‘doing drugs’ is something most parents would not approve of.” 

While she does think it would be fun to get high with her parents to see how they would react because of how strict they were growing up, she said she would be too uncomfortable and wouldn’t be able to get high. 

“I don’t think my parents know I smoke,” she said. “I do not have the closest relationship with my parents, so I don’t tell them everything and smoking weed is included in that. 

"It is sort of just an unspoken thing, it’s never been asked so I’ve never told.”

For other students, the prospect of getting high with their parents is intriguing. Central Michigan University senior Ashley Birkeness, said she hasn’t gotten high with either of her parents even though her father is open to the idea. 

“I would get high with my dad,” Birkeness said. “My dad and I have a very good, jokey and fun relationship. We have fun together and are always giggly even when we're sober so under the influence I think we’d laugh so hard we can’t breathe.”

The topic of smoking and getting high, despite cannabis being legal is a touchy subject for many individuals. A part of it comes from the conception that the product is still considered unacceptable by many people in society. 

Although some people enjoy getting high with their parents or find the idea intriguing, for some it is still something that feels wrong.

“I think it is something I’d rather just keep as my own and not a shared activity.” An anonymous Central Michigan senior said.