CMU gymnastics wins against Bowling Green at home

d-gymnasticsvbg-photo-02-16-2024-07
Senior Elizabeth Cesarone poses during floor routine Friday, Feb. 16, in McGuirk Arena. (Audrey Konitsney | CM-Life)

Central Michigan gymnastics returned to McGuirk Arena Friday, competing for more than just another win. 

The Chippewas competed in honor of Childhood Cancer Awareness Day. Maci Jensen, a child with cancer from Ludington, was recognized at the meet. 

“It was really nice to see the team really rally around that," head coach Christine MacDonald said. "That was something really important to them that we chose something that was impactful to them.”

CMU dominated in all aspects of the meet, taking the top spot in all four events. The performances led to a dominant win, 195.625-191.475 over Bowling Green State University. 

“I’m really proud of their performance today,” MacDonald said. “We have some individuals who’ve been fighting some sickness this week, and we had some lineup changes… and the individuals that stepped in today did a great job.” 

CMU improves to 7-4 overall and are still 3-1 in Mid-American Conference competition. 

The Chippewas began the competition on vault. Senior Elizabeth Cesarone had her fifth week above 9.800 with a first place finish of 9.825. Freshmen Jenna Germond, Zoie Pelfrey and Sophomore Luciana Alvarado-Reid tied for second best with 9.775, helping the team finish with a 48.350. 

Central Michigan carried its momentum on bars with Alvarado-Reid taking first place with 9.875. Freshman Samantha Shannon took second place with 9.800. Overall, the team had a score of 48.725. 

“They’re a very consistent group at practice,” MacDonald said. “We’ve had that conversation where that’s something that from the start of the season, we’ve seen in practice, and it’s nice to start to see it come out on a competition day as well.” 

CMU moved to beam on the third rotation. Alvarado-Reid posted a 9.825 to take first place and senior Adriana Bustelo came in second with 9.800. The Chippewas posted a 48.900 on the event overall. 

Central Michigan ended the day on floor where three Chippewas tied their career-best on the event. The three gymnasts included senior Hallie Hornbacher with a 9.925, senior Elizabeth Buttle with 9.900 and Cesarone with a 9.875. 

“Super proud of them and just happy for them because they put the work into the gym,” MacDonald said. “It’s not a surprise when we see those scores, because they score them in the gym when we do our mock meets, and it’s nice to see them not only do it, but do it together on the same day.” 

The Chippewas are back at home Saturday against Kent State at 2 p.m. in McGuirk Arena.