Let's talk about it

Sophomore psychology major to speak about mental health in the Black community

blackmentalhealth

With the first week of Black History Month at Central Michigan University, Xavier McKinney, a sophomore psychology major with a concentration in mental health, will be hosting the Black Mental Health: Let’s Talk About It event at 6 p.m. Feb. 6 in Kulhavi Hall 141.   

In collaboration with the Multicultural Academic Student Services (MASS) office, McKinney fell upon an opportunity to host a conversation about mental health, specifically in the Black community when Alfred Harper, assistant director of the Multicultural Student Education overheard a conversation between McKinney and a friend.  

McKinney said that event will cover a variety of topics surrounding mental health.  

“The event will have a variety of topics that are centered around the Black community and how mental health has impacted it,” McKinney said.  “There is information about historical factors, how it (mental health) looks in the community and much more.”

McKinney said this event was brought about by his own personal experience.  

“The thing that prompted me to host this event is me personally dealing with my own mental health challenges and I just noticed how it is not something that was really talked about in the Black community,” McKinney said.  “I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try and start that conversation.”  

McKinney said attending this event is important because mental health is one of the more crucial aspects of our life especially as college students.  

“...we have so many challenges that we are constantly facing every day when it comes to school and our personal lives,” McKinney said.  

McKinney said this event is open to anyone who wants to learn more about mental health.   

“Even though the event is centered around the Black community, anyone can come and get information and resources that could potentially help them,” McKinney said.   

For more information and to RSVP to the event click here.