CMU gymnastics wins in tri-meet at Bowling Green

d-gymnasticsvsemu-photo-2-3-2023-2
Senior Hannah DeMers performs on vault during a meet against Eastern Michigan Friday, Feb. 3 in McGuirk Arena. DeMers also performed on bars, beam and floor.

Central Michigan University gymnastics took first place in a tri-meet between Mid-American Conference opponent Bowling Green and University of Wisconsin Osh-Kosh in Bowling Green, OH Sunday. 

The Chippewas remain undefeated in the MAC with a win over the Falcons, ending the competition with an overall score of 196.425 while improving to 6-3 overall. 

"Just really pleased with their overall performance,” head coach Christine MacDonald said. “From the first event to the last event they really stayed centered on themselves and really continued to build off each event.” 

Central Michigan started the day on bars in its first rotation. The Chippewas made up the top four scores with freshman Samantha Shannon taking first with a score of 9.875. 

Following right behind was graduate student Ashley Veglucci in second with a score of 9.825. Freshman Jenna Germond and Sophomore Luciana Alvarado-Reid tied for third with 9.800. 

“I think the consistency is continuing from event to event was very important to the flow today,” MacDonald said. 

The Chippewas continued their momentum on beam with a team score of 48.900 in their second rotation. This is the second highest team beam score for CMU this season.

Senior Adriana Bustelo took first place with a score of 9.875. Senior Amber Mueller tied for second place with Bowling Green’s Emily Castiglia with 9.825. 

CMU competed on floor in its third rotation. Alvarado-Reid took first place with a career best 9.925. The performance helped Alvarado-Reid take first place in the all-around, competing in all four events with a score of 39.250. This is the third time Alvarado-Reid has taken the top spot in the all-around this season. 

Seniors Hallie Hornbacher and Veglucci tied for second on floor both posting 9.900. The team had an overall score of 49.450 on floor. 

“Really proud of the girls for really starting strong and finishing strong,” MacDonald said. 

Central Michigan finished the day on vault. Three Chippewas were in a five-way tie for best score of the day. Junior Avah Bootz, senior Elizabeth Cesarone and Alvarado-Reid all posted 9.850 on the event. 

The Chippewas will compete in their first home meet of the season Friday against Ball State at 6 p.m. in McGuirk Arena. 

"We’re really excited to finally be back in McGuirk and back in front of our home crowd and our fans and the community,” MacDonald said. “It means a lot to us.”