A tribute to Black female music icons: Paving the way for future artists

Black Girls Rock hosts first MAC approved event

d-african-american-influence-in-music-photo-2-5-24-07

Senior Bryce Robinson introduces his presentation during African American Influence in Music Monday, Feb. 5 in the Bovee University Center. The event, which was part of Black History Month events, included a presentation and Kahoot. (CM-Life | Ella Miller)

During the final few days of Black History Month, students will get the chance to meet the registered student organization, Black Girls Rock to learn about Black female music icons, discuss what they contributed to the music industry and how they have paved the way for future artists.    

The Queens of Rhythm: A Tribute to Black Female Music Icons event will take place at 6 p.m. on Feb. 20 in Pearce Hall 127.  This event is put together in collaboration with the Multicultural Academic Student Services (MASS) office and is a MAC approved event.  

Aaliyah Howard, a junior at Central Michigan University and president of Black Girls Rock said there will be a presentation talking about Black female artists, discussing their accomplishments.  

“We’re highlighting these artists, talking about what they have done and how they have paved a way in the industry for other Black women to come,” Howard said.  

Aaliyah Howard, President of Black Girls Rock

Howard said oftentimes, black women in the music industry get outshined by the men or white individuals.  

“I feel like our music is a big part of having a community,” she said. “I just want to be able to highlight those faces … especially for non people of color, just so they can learn the history that has been made within our community.”

Howard said it’s important to have an open perspective on the contents of the event.  

“We want everyone to come support even if you're not Black … that's the big thing,” Howard said. “Just bring yourself, the ability to listen and learn about what other people have done and as always..have fun,” Howard said.  

After the presentation, Howard said there will be a Kahoot game quizzing participants on the material.  Prizes will include a t-shirt, gift card and prize basket.  

To learn more about Queens of Rhythm or to RSVP, visit Engage Central.