CMU women's basketball ends season in third-straight loss against Akron

d-womensbballvsakron-photo-3-9-2024-04
Central Michigan's senior center Rochelle Norris, above, and graduate forward Nadège Jean, below, take in their final moments as CMU basketball players on the sidelines with seconds left of their game against Akron on Saturday, Mar. 9 in McGuirk Arena. Both Norris and Jean were honored after the game during senior night festivities. (Marie Underwood | CM-Life)

On a night full of celebration, the Central Michigan women's basketball team highlighted two of its seniors, both centers Nadège Jean and Rochelle Norris against Akron on Saturday. Although the night ended in a 65-57 loss, CMU met record-breaking stats. 

Norris had a career-high of six blocks, tied for sixth of all-time, and led the team with 18 points, shooting 64% overall. Trailing Norris was freshman guard Tamara Ortiz who has been a prominent figure on the team since coming back from an injury. 

Once again, the Chippewas exploded in the fourth quarter outscoring Akron 22-14. Norris scored eight points in the fourth, securing three back-to-back layups. 

Just a minute after Norris' power plays, sophomore guard Alina Anderson, who started for the second time this season, made her first three of the night, shortening Akron's lead to nine. 

Although Akron out-rebounded the Chippewas, sophomore guard Madisen Wardell led with seven. Missing from the lineup again was sophomore guard Taylor Anderson. 

As the season has come to an end for CMU, Haynie looks forward to the future of Chippewa basketball as they welcome three recruits for the upcoming season. 

The Chippewas concluded the season remaining in 11th place with an overall record of 6-22 and 4-13 in conference play.