CMU gymnastics takes second at MSU quad meet

d-gymnasticsvsballstate-photo-2-9-2024-02

Central Michigan's gymnastic team celebrates after graduate student Ashley Veglucci's bar routine during a meet against Ball State on Friday, Feb. 9 in McGuirk Arena. Veglucci scored a 9.775. (Marie Underwood | CM-Life)

Central Michigan gymnastics took second place out of four teams in a quad meet at Michigan State Saturday. 

The Chippewas had an overall score of 196.425. Michigan State took the top spot with a score of 198.150 while Fisk University and Greenville University rounded out the third and fourth spot. 

CMU started the meet on bars. Freshman Jenna Germond and junior Quinn Skrupa set new career highs for the event with 9.825. Sophomore Luciana Alvarado-Reid also scored 9.825. Overall, the team had a score of 49.025, a season high for CMU. 

In the second rotation, Central Michigan set another season high team score on beam with 49.075. Freshman Samantha Shannon led the way for the Chippewas with a score of 9.850. Four Chippewas had a score of 9.800 or higher. 

CMU carried its momentum into its third rotation on floor. Seniors Hallie Hornbacher and Ashley Veglucci each scored 9.900 for the event. Alvarado-Reid and senior Elizabeth Cesarone each scored 9.875. 

Central Michigan finished the day on vault. Cesarone had the best score of the event for the Chippewas with 9.875. The team score for the final event was 48.950. 

CMU is now 10-8 overall. The team will have one more regular season meet against Western Michigan at home in McGuirk Arena on Friday at 6 p.m.