CMU gymnastics places fourth at MAC Championship

1-dsc-7895

Junior Quinn Skrupa does a back handspring on beam during the gymnastics meet against Kent State Saturday, Feb. 24 in McGuirk Arena. Skrupa scored a 9.825 in the event. (CM-Life | Ella Miller)

Central Michigan gymnastics competed for the final time as a team Saturday at the Mid-American Conference Championships Saturday in Muncie, Indiana.

The Chippewas came into the championship as the back-to-back defending champions. CMU finished fourth overall with a score of 195.925. 

“I thought we did exceptionally well, considering we really had to continue to fight all day long, there was a lot of battle,” head coach Christine MacDonald said. “Our team showed great resilience today from the first event through, so I’m really proud of our team’s performance today.” 

Western Michigan came out on top with 196.525, followed by Ball State with 196.475 and Kent State with 196.325. 

“I really feel that this team’s unity is what separates them from so many other times in program history,” MacDonald said. “They are truly supportive of each individual. They are each other’s biggest fan. 

"They are committed to the process. They have committed to every step of the way of anything that we’ve asked of them and they continue to rise up and support each other.” 

CMU senior Hallie Hornbacher was in a six-way tie for champion on floor with a score of 9.900. 

Sophomore Luciana Alvarado-Reid tied for champion on uneven bars with 9.925. Both Alvarado-Reid and Hornbacher were named to the All-MAC Tournament team. 

“They were consistent and what we saw today is what we continue to see,” MacDonald said. “I’m just really proud of their composure they really handles themselves in a very professional and composed manner and just really lit up the gym.” 

Two seniors also medaled on vault for the Chippewas. Katie Kowalski and Elizabeth Cesarone were in a seven-way tie for third with a score of. 9.900. The third place finish was Kowalski’s first score in over a year after an injury. 

“Watching her (Kowalski) compete today, she’s a spark plug for this team,” MacDonald said. “It was definitely a very emotional performance for us and for her. (I'm) so proud of her and excited for her to finally get that not only return, but to do it so well.” 

Overall, CMU finished 11-8 overall on the season and 4-2 in conference competition. 

Alvarado-Reid and Hornbacher will compete at the NCAA Regional Championships on April 3rd or 4th.