CMU gymnastics wins final home meet against Western

d-gymnasticsvwmu-03-15-2024-03

Central Michigan University gymnastics seniors and parents watch a video commemorating the seniors, Friday, March 15, in McGuirk Arena. (Audrey Konitsney | CM-Life)

Central Michigan gymnastics defeated conference rival Western Michigan in its final home meet of the season Friday. 

CMU honored the seniors on the team after the meet as it was their last time competing in McGuirk Arena. 

“They’ve (the seniors) been a very integral part of transitioning the program and really taking it to a new level,” head coach Christine MacDonald said. “Their impact on our team, I think is beyond the score sheet, and something that we truly value and cherish.” 

The Chippewas led after the first rotation and never looked back with the final score 196.875 to the Bronco’s 195.800. 

CMU started the day on vault. Five Chippewas had a score of over 9.800. Seniors Hallie Hornbacher and Elizabeth Cesarone scored a 9.825 along with freshman Zoie Pelfrey. Sophomore Luciana Alvarado-Reid scored a 9.850 and freshman Jennie Germond scored a 9.800. Overall, the team had a score of 49.125 for the event.

“We’ve talked about repeatedly about a flow and I thought like today starting off strong on vault just started off the day and they kind of kept building off of the event after event,” MacDonald said.  

The Chippewas continued the day on bars. Once again, five Chippewas had a score of 9.800 or higher. Graduate student Ashley Veglucci and senior Adriana Bustelo both scored 9.825. Germond and junior Quinn Skrupa each scored 9.800. 

Alvarado-Reid led on bars for the Chippewas with 9.875 leading to a team score of 49.125 on the event. 

Central Michigan continued into the third rotation on beam. Both Alvarado-Reid and freshman Samantha Shannon each had 9.900 on the event. Freshman Karina Lankamer and senior Amber Mueller each scored a 9.800. 

“Just really impressed with her (Shannon) composure today, but she really did a good job of really just staying in the moment,” MacDonald said. 

CMU ended the day on its best event, floor. The team had a run of four gymnasts who scored 9.900 or higher. Cesarone, Alvarado-Reid and Veglucci all scored 9.900. Senior Hallie Hornbacher closed out the day for the Chippewas with 9.925. 

“We’re in that place where we continue to refine routines, refine the details, continue to work as a unit and really you know come out strong and do our best team performance that we can,” MacDonald said. 

The Chippewas are now 4-2 in Mid-American Conference competition as they head into the MAC Championships Saturday at 2 p.m. in Muncie, Indiana at Worthen Arena.