CMU softball falls short in series against Ohio

d-cmuvsou-photo-3-27-24-20

The Central Michigan softball team ended its three-game series 1-2 against Ohio this weekend sending the Chippewas' record to 6-21 overall and 3-3 in the Mid-American Conference play. 

CMU started off the weekend in Athens on Friday with a doubleheader and then  battled the Bobcats again on Saturday.

Game 1

The game remained quiet through the first two innings as both teams looked to find an opening for a run. The opportunity finally came from senior center fielder Abbey Tolmie in the top of the third with an RBI single, sending sophomore Angela Petrovitch home. 

CMU shut down the Ohio offense, leaving it runless throughout all seven innings. The Chippewas also held the Bobcats to only three hits compared to their six. 

Leading the Chippewas in this game was Tolmie who stepped to bat four times with two hits, and the one run batted in. 

Senior pitcher Grace Lehto led the team in the circle, pitching all seven innings while giving up zero runs on three hits with three strikeouts.  

Game 2

CMU held onto its pattern of scoring first as it found home plate once in the top of the fourth inning. 

Freshman Carly Sleeman hit a single but soon found herself at third base off a steal. After an error from Ohio, Sleeman ran to home base giving the Chippewas a 1-0 lead. 

CMU’s lead wasn’t kept long as Ohio dominated in the bottom of the fourth. The Bobcats were able to score three times before the end of the inning came. Ohio added on to its two-run lead in the bottom of the fifth.

Despite their efforts, the Chippewas were unable to finish any further runs, leaving the score 4-1 as the final inning closed out. 

Game 3

The Chippewas opened the game scoring twice on unearned runs. Both Tolmie and Sleeman found home base for their team, giving CMU an early lead of 2-0. 

The Bobcats were able to tie the game up after scoring in the bottom of the first and the second. 

However, Ohio clapped back in the bottom of the third, leading 5-2. The Chippewas went scoreless in the fourth, fifth, and sixth innings while Ohio increased its lead by two. As the seventh inning began, CMU was trailing by five.

Petrovitch scored on another unearned run, ending the game 7-3 against Ohio. 

The Chippewas return to Mount Pleasant on Tuesday to take on Toledo at 1 p.m.