Inclusive Design for Autistic Individuals creates welcoming spaces

somi2-high-res
Courtesy of Kamara Sudberry. Jill DeVries Photography

I-Interact, an organization dedicated to addressing autism-related needs, is hosting an event focused on inclusive design for autistic individuals from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. April 24 at Education and Human Services Room 230.

Inclusive design aims to create products, environments and experiences that accommodate the diverse needs of all individuals, including those with disabilities. When it comes to designing for autistic individuals, several key principles come into play into it, Jeanneane Wood-Nartker, a faculty member in the department of Fashion, Interior Design and Merchandising, said.

“As an interior designer, my job is to create these spaces, but I often think people who are in leadership positions don't recognize the full impact they have on people,” Wood-Nartker said.

Courtesy of Kamara Sudberry.

The event features two speakers,including the director of Special Olympicsand Steelcase leader, inclusive Design Workplace Innovation. They'll share insights on designing inclusively and creating spaces that benefit everyone.

"As they leave CMU, they'll carry this sensitivity forward, creating purposeful and successful settings for everyone," Wood-Narker said.

She said including autistic individuals in the design process is essential. Their unique perspectives and needs can lead to innovative solutions. Involving them sets the foundation for successful projects 

Courtesy of Kamara Sudberry.