Masterpiece in motion

2024 Threads Fashion Show brings art gallery aesthetic to runway

d_threads_photo_4-6-24_11

CMU student Joelle Beauchamp walks the runway during 'Masterpiece In Motion: Threads Fashion Show' on Saturday, April 6, in Finch Field House. (Soli Gordon | CM Life)

The last bit of sunlight poured through one of the large, overhead windows in the Finch Fieldhouse, shining directly on a mural that resembled an art museum hallway. Large, black curtains flanked either side of the mural, and the sunlight dripped down it to find a small, rectangular opening in the left curtain. 

As the natural light faded from view and the spotlights came on, classical music began to flow from the speakers and out from the opening flowed the fashion models on beat.

This was how the 2024 Threads Fashion Show began. Starting at 7 p.m Saturday April 6, students and faculty watched as models emerged in outfits of different colors, materials, styles and with various accessories to compliment them.

Kefir Klee models during 'Masterpiece In Motion: Threads Fashion Show' on Saturday, April 6, in Finch Field House. The annual student-run production showcases works from aspiring apparel designers, as well as student models. (Soli Gordon | CM Life)

The theme for the show was “Masterpiece in Motion,” and was based on the concept of an art museum. Student artists had their paintings on display as guests walked in, and large, decorative murals displayed art galleries with world-famous pieces such as Georges Seurat’s A Sunday on La Grande Jatte and Claude Monet’s Bridge over a Pond of Water Lilies.

While a knowledge of art wasn’t required to enjoy the show, references to famous pieces could be seen in some of the designs. Some were obvious, like model Kristina Wise wearing a corset that displayed the hands of Adam and God from one of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel paintings. 

Others were more intuitive or required knowledge of the source material, such as a collection by Lauren Fulk that showcased a series of blue and pink outfits adorned with pearls and crocheted items meant to reference Aphrodite/Venus in Botticelli’s Birth of Venus.

This year, the show had 15 designers who created 18 collections for viewers. Each collection represented a different art era, specific painting or simply concepts of art and life itself. Over 70 models donned these designs and walked down the runaway, all with unique personalities viewers could pick up through their walking speeds, hand placement, poses and more. 

“It was very nerve-racking,” said Yazmin Torres, one of the models for the Bimboton collection. She wore a floor-length, blue sequin dress designed by Morgan Boosamra. 

Senior Morgan Boosamra works on a design for the upcoming Threads Fashion Show during the 8 p.m. hour Friday, March 22, in Wightman Hall. (CM Life | Ella Miller)

Torres is a junior at CMU and said this was her first year as a model for Threads. She said she had multiple fittings and rehearsals in the outfit prior to the show, and while she did get a say when it came to measurements and adjustments, she mostly let the designer “do her thing.”

“The whole thing has been lots of fun,” Torres said. “You’re being creative, getting your style and working your way up to the runway. Everyone was just super sweet and it’s been a great experience.”

Viewers also expressed their interest in the show for its creativity and uniqueness, especially since it involved CMU students. 

Jayden Lofton is a freshman at CMU, and said he came to the show to support his friends that were modeling. He said he liked that the clothing was all unique and different, and found the show interesting.

“These aren’t the type of things you see everyday,” Lofton said. “Seeing them (his friends) outside of what they usually wear and being so focused and locked in … It’s nice to see them passionate about it.”

The show concluded with the distribution of seven awards to the fashion designers, five of which were selected by a judges panel and one that was selected by audience members. These awards and their respective winners are as follows:

• Most Avant-Garde (Or going against mainstream and being unique): Charlize Wright, for her collections The Art of Innovation and Masterpiece in the Making
  • Best Construction (In terms of pattern making, sewing and more): Sophie Dehn
  • Adaptability Wear (Accessible and inclusive clothing that was also unique): Charlize Wright, for The Art of Innovation
  • Rookie of the Year (A freshman or sophomore designer that stood out): Sarahi Flores
  • Best Interpreted Theme: Charlize Wright, for The Art of Innovation and Masterpiece in the Making
  • Best Overall Collection: Sophie Dehn for her collection Live Fast, Die Young 
  • Viewer’s Choice Award (Voted by audience during the show): Cassidy Marshall for her collection Dancing with Minerva

Brady Pitcher was one of the producers for the Threads Fashion Show this year, and he described it as being a “kind of crazy” experience.

“Seeing the thing you’ve worked so hard for is finally here, you get kind of emotional,” he said.

Pitcher said that he and the other producers had interviews for their positions in April 2023. They received notice they were accepted in May 2023, and they worked on the show from then until April of 2024. He said when they started working together, they all had similar ideas for the theme of the show.

“We really wanted something that would push our designers, something more couture and formal,” he said. “Because they don’t really get a lot of opportunities to do that. With art, there’s so much you could do with that, it’s versatile, so we went with that.”

Models laugh for photos before walking the runway at 'Masterpiece In Motion: Threads Fashion Show' on Saturday, April 6, in Finch Field House. The show is an annual student-run production that displays fashion designs from current Central Michigan University students (Soli Gordon | CM Life)

Pitcher said that while this is his first year as a producer for Threads, he modeled for it in 2023. He said that his modeling experience helped set him up for a producer role, because he understands where the models are coming from and wanted to improve that. He also said it gives the models an opportunity to gain experience before making this a career.

“It sets you up for the real world and all the responsibilities you’ll have,” Pitcher said.

Over the next week, the Threads social media pages and websites will update with photos and videos of the show as well as posting the award winners. Students can learn more about the show through their website or Instagram page