'I was here for a reason'

Mother-daughter duo finish business degrees together; more than 2,400 graduate

d-graduationmain-050624
Mother Trisha (left) and daughter Alina Krasinski smile for the camera prior to their graduation from the Central Michigan University College of Business Administration Saturday, May 4, at McGurik Arena. (Courtesy photo | Alina Krasinski)

The applause echoed around the stadium as students filed down the stairs on the south side of the McGuirk Arena. Their robes swayed with the gold tassels on their caps as they made their way to the rows of steel, black chairs below, so they could take a seat and watch their futures about to begin.

On May 3 and May 4, Central Michigan University held their commencement ceremonies for the class of 2024. More than 2,400 students graduated from their bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs this spring, according to information released Monday by the university. 

Friday saw graduations for the College of Medicine, doctoral degrees, graduate certificates and specialist degrees. Saturday brought ceremonies for the remaining six colleges' bachelor degrees, and the College of Business Administration. 

Both bachelor's and master's students crossed the stage Saturday morning, in the College of Business Administration's ceremony that started  at 9 a.m in the John G. Kulhavi Events Center.

As the audience grew quiet, university president Bob Davies told attendants graduation is one of his favorite times of the year, because it's a time the community comes together and he gets to learn the stories of students and the unique circumstances that brought them to Central of unique ways they are graduating. 

Two graduates he highlighted during this time were Alina and Trisha Krasinski, a mother and daughter walking at the same time with their business degrees.

"We're like the best of friends," Alina, the daughter, said. "And who does that? Who gets to say that, y'know, they're graduating with their mom and best friend?"

Alina grew up in Hazel Park with her siblings, her parents and her grandmother. She said she comes from a "long line" of entrepreneurs, as her grandmother use to own a print shop for t-shirts, her father runs a real estate business and her brother is in the cannabis industry.

"We're not really fans of having to work for someone else," Alina said. "I think we're all very stubborn and that's why."

Mom Trisha originally attended CMU when Alina was in middle school, but eventually stopped pursuing her degree to work in real estate. When her daughter applied to the university, Trisha decided to finish her degree. 

Originally, Trisha would have graduated in December 2023, but one class prevented her from doing so and allowed her to graduate alongside her daughter.

Alina (left) and Trisha Krasinski pose with their diplomas following their graduation from the Central Michigan University College of Business Administration Saturday, May 4. The daughter-mother duo finished their bachelor's degrees together and shared the stage during the morning ceremony. (Courtesy photo | Alina Krasinski)

Who gets to say that, y'know, they're graduating with their mom and best friend?"

- Alina Krasinski
2024 graduate of the Central Michigan University College of Business Administration"

"It turned out perfectly, in my opinion," Alina said.

The College of Business Administration awarded 288 master's degrees and 1,395 bachelor's degrees on Saturday. The graduates got to hear a segment of the "Imperial March" in honor of it being May 4 "Star Wars Day", followed by speeches from Davies, CMU Board of Trustees Chair Todd Regis and Robert Oros, a CMU alumnus and the current CEO of Hightower Advisors in Chicago. 

Oros encouraged graduates to "be a source of advantage," for family, friends and coworkers, and he gave them five tips to help them on their way:

1. Be adaptable
  2. Put as many tools in your toolbox as you can
  3. Stay relevant
  4. Be a life-long learner and
  5. Always add value to what you're working on.

"What I love about (hiring) CMU students ... is they are humble, hungry and smart," Oros said. "And that is a powerhouse combination."

Graduates crossed the stage and received their diplomas with pride, shaking the president's hand or giving him a high five. Hugs occurred both on and offstage during the ceremony, and cheers erupted from the audience from family and friends when certain graduates appeared.

When Alina and Trisha crossed the stage, they received their diplomas with grace and poise while beaming from ear to ear. The procession briefly stopped so they could meet on the right side to hug and take photos with Davies.

After graduation, Alina said she and her mother may head to either Texas or Montana to celebrate. Additionally, Alina will be attending the Midwest Equine Dental Academy in Mount Pleasant, while her mother plans to build on her current real estate career.

"I love Central a lot; I've made some of my best friends here," Alina said. "I think everything happens for a reason, and I was here for a reason."

* Related content: Medical School commencement photo gallery *