Conference opener for field hockey

The field hockey team will face its first Mid-American Conference opponent of the season today.

The Chippewas will start the two-game weekend against the Miami RedHawks at 3 p.m. The team faces Northwestern, a Big Ten opponent, at 1 p.m. Saturday.

Miami is 0-3 and has been outscored 13-1 in the first three games.

“I always think that Miami’s strength is their offense,” said coach Cristy Freese. “They have a very good passing game and they tend to generate a lot of shots on goal. I think it will be a good match-up with Miami because they are always a good team.”

Sophomore Paulina Lee said the RedHawks’ record coming into this weekend is irrelevant.

“Each game is that team’s chance to start over again,” Lee said. “Who knows what they have been working on, but we need to treat them like they (are) undefeated.”

Last season, the Chippewas and RedHawks played two times, splitting the season series. The visiting team won both games.

“I don’t think that is a big factor,” Freese said. “Both teams are used to traveling and it is not like it is a home football game. We know we need to get this game on Friday, no doubt. Being a conference game, it is crucial and our opening MAC game is a must be a win for us.”

The Wildcats

Freese said she thinks Northwestern has potential to be one of the nation’s top teams.

“Northwestern is a very good passing team,” she said. “They really challenge you to play together, because they will pass and they will pass quickly. They also have a new coach, Tracey Fuchs, who is as decorated of a coach as you will find.”

Fuchs, who won the 2001 NCAA title as an associate coach at the University of Michigan and competed as an Olympic field hockey player, has her team ranked No. 21 in the country.

CMU split its first two games of the season, defeating Colgate 3-0 and losing to Rider by the same score.

Lee said she is excited to send a message to Miami and the rest of the MAC conference.

“We are ready to go down to Ohio and show everyone in the MAC that we are ready to go this year,” she said.