The sharp shooter

fieldhockeyportrait-jwm-041
Jake May/Staff Photographer

Kelly Jordan was left to wonder if she would ever play again after undergoing three surgeries in her five years on the CMU field hockey team.

“I had a very hard time,” the senior said. “I didn’t think that I wanted to come back, but I am the type of person that never wants to quit anything that I have started. I didn’t want my surgeries or injuries to become an excuse for me not to play.”

Injuries did not play a role in her playing career until the spring following her freshman season. As a freshman, Jordan played in every game.

In spring 2006, Jordan experienced pains in her calf. She found she had a stress fracture in one of her shins, and it led to compartment syndrome, which required surgery during her junior season.

In the February following her junior season, Jordan had knee surgery. The procedure was followed by another surgery in August to repair her meniscus.

Through her injury troubles, Jordan made a habit of proving people wrong, including her coach Cristy Freese.

“I was very much a disbeliever in the idea that she would make it back onto the field,” Freese said. “She really proved me wrong and I am glad that she did. Kelly is someone that I can really coach because she understands that game.”

Now that Jordan is healthy and on the field, she had an immediate impact on the Chippewas’ offensive game. She has three goals in the team’s first six games, and her motivation goes beyond simply trying to contribute.

“I want to beat Sam’s (Sandham) record of 16 goals last season,” Jordan said. “I know that I am already in the record book, but I really just want to better myself and go further.”

In 2005, Jordan scored 11 goals, ranked second in the Mid-American Conference and earned her a tie for the top spot in goals on the team.

CMU won the Mid-American Conference Championship that year, with the freshman Jordan leading the way in the MAC Championship game. She scored three goals in the win.

“The high point of my career would definitely be (that game),” she said. “That is the best I have ever played and the best we played as a team.” Jordan has 29 goals and 66 points in her career.

True scorer

From day one, Jordan’s role has been to blossom into a powerful and productive scorer. Freese said she planned to plug Jordan and Sandham in the lineup, expecting them to supply a nice one-two scoring punch.

“She has had a difficult journey for sure,” Freese said. “When we recruited her and after the freshman year she had, we really thought that we were going to have a very good tandem in her and Samantha Sandham.”

Jordan excelled in her ability to execute the penalty corner. Freese said she owns the hardest shot on the team, something several teammates agreed with.

“She is one of our most efficient scorers and she probably has one of the hardest hits on the team,” said sophomore Paulina Lee.

As expected with an injury-filled career, Jordan said she had regrets and low points. Jordan only has to think back to last season to remember her lowest day as a field hockey player.

“The low point of my career was not playing senior day last year,” she said. “Everybody I came in (with) was graduating and I wanted to be out there playing with them, but I couldn’t even be out there practicing with them.”

As for Freese, she said she is glad her player will get the opportunity to finish out her career the right way.

“It is good for her to finish her career as a fifth-year senior rather than finish her career not playing at all,” she said.