Field hockey loses third consecutive MAC game, 2-1, against Ohio

With a 2-1 loss to Ohio today, the field hockey team completed a disappointing weekend with its third consecutive Mid-American Conference loss.

This loss is the team’s third consecutive 2-1 loss and also its fourth in five MAC games.

The Bobcats struck first as Katherine Ballard tallied the first goal 14 minutes in to put OU up 1-0. The Chippewas would not score until the 30-minute mark, when sophomore Paulina Lee trickled a shot past Bobcat goaltender Courtney Seiders. That would tie the game up 1-1 and give the Chippewas momentum going into halftime.

“I feel that the intensity picked up and it gave us the energy to pick it up and come right back at them,” Lee said.

That momentum was silenced quickly as Ballard notched her second goal at the 49-minute mark to put Ohio up 2-1.

Ohio controlled CMU's offense throughout the second half, outshooting the Chippewas 8-3 and earned a 3-1 advantage in penalty corners in the final 35 minutes.

CMU goalkeeper Melinda Curran turned aside 10 Bobcat shots. With the loss, the Chippewas fall to 1-4 in the MAC and 3-7 overall.

“It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that we aren’t going to win the MAC championship for the season,” Freese said. “Our goal is to just keep winning and getting to be a better team.”

The team has earned a reputation of being a resilient team in the past and Lee thinks that this team will be the same.

“We are known in the MAC for never giving up,” she said. “We have had slow starts to the season but we always finish strong. I don’t see this slow start as a determining factor for our team at all. We can only improve from here and we just have to work hard in practice and get better.

"The main thing is that we focus on the positives to get better as a team.”