Field hockey to host Missouri State

The CMU field hockey team can end its two-game Mid-American Conference losing streak in its regular-season finale this weekend against Missouri State.

The teams will play at 1 p.m. Saturday and noon Sunday in the CMU Field Hockey Complex. “The kids are motivated to win,” said coach Cristy Freese. “I know we have had a tough season but, they really are motivated to win.”

Freese said Missouri State is a familiar opponent because it closely resembles Ball State, whom the Chippewas had success against this season.

“They are a very good offensive team,” she said. “They remind me of Ball State in the fact that, offensively, they have some really good players. They are a tough team to play defensively because they are very tough in the circle and they score a lot of goals. Our defense needs to be top-notch and try to hold them back.”

Awareness

Saturday’s game against MSU is “Think Pink” day at the CMU Field Hockey Complex. Both teams will wear pink wristbands and spectators will receive pink ribbons to raise breast cancer awareness. Sunday’s game is senior day.

“I think we will be very motivated to play in front of our family and friends,” Freese said. “Senior day is always really important and, normally, our team is always motivated to play extra hard for our seniors on senior day.”

This is the third consecutive season the Chippewas finished the regular season at home. “It is always exciting to play at home because we do get our own fan base and everyone’s parents will be up here for senior day on Sunday,” said sophomore Paulina Lee.

Wednesday

The team beat Michigan 1-0 on Wednesday.

Junior Pam Seufert scored the only goal off a shot by senior Kelly Jordan at the 55-minute mark.

“I warned our kids that this is a nice win, but don’t get overexcited here,” Freese said. “When you lose on the weekend, the kids want the coaches to forget about it when they see you in practice. When you win, your coach wants you to forget about it.”