Field hockey beats Bears twice

The CMU field hockey team finished the regular season with its third consecutive win Sunday.

The Chippewas defeated Mid-American Conference opponent Missouri State for the second time in two days, 3-1.

“I have wanted to win more than one game all season,” said coach Cristy Freese. “We have a nice little streak going and, obviously, we have some confidence going into the MAC Tournament and we just need to keep it going.”

CMU also defeated the Bears 4-1 Saturday.

“Today, we struggled a little bit offensively, but I also think that we had to expect some changes in their game,” Freese said. “That is what happens when you play a team two times in two days. Basically, we got the win, and that’s what we wanted to do.”

Missouri State started the scoring at the 23-minute mark, when Alyssa Hile scored.

The Chippewas answered three minutes later, with junior Brooke Sihota scoring on a pass from senior Kelly Jordan to make it 1-1. The team took the tie into halftime.

CMU would add two more goals by Jordan and freshman Erin Dye.

“A win going into the tournament is important and our kids knew that,” Freese said. “It was a little tougher today, but they had great effort and that’s what we need.”

Freese stressed the importance of stringing together some wins going into the Mid-American Conference Tournament to pick up momentum.

“We seem to be really prepared to get going into the tournament,” Dye said. “We have had good practices lately. We have been playing good lately but, I think more importantly, we have shown a lot of growth as a team.

“I think we got off to a slower start, but I think we have really picked it up, and we have great potential to really do some work in the tournament.”

Hat trick

Jordan scored her eighth goal of the year to give CMU the initial lead in Saturday’s victory. Sihota added another before the first half was over.

CMU scored fast in the second half when Jordan got her second goal of the afternoon just 5:22 into the half off of a penalty corner. She would later score again, completing the hat trick.